History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hangleton Manor Inn the Old Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brighton and Hove, The City of Brighton and Hove

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8481 / 50°50'53"N

Longitude: -0.2054 / 0°12'19"W

OS Eastings: 526429

OS Northings: 106928

OS Grid: TQ264069

Mapcode National: GBR JNN.NW8

Mapcode Global: FRA B6GV.MSD

Entry Name: Hangleton Manor Inn the Old Manor House

Listing Date: 8 November 1956

Last Amended: 2 November 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187557

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365538

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: Hangleton and Knoll

Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Hangleton St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Hove

Listing Text


HOVE

TQ2606NW HANGLETON VALLEY DRIVE, Hangleton
579-1/7/156 (East side)
08/11/56 Hangleton Manor Inn and The Old
Manor House
(Formerly Listed as:
HANGLETON VALLEY DRIVE
Hangleton Manor Hotel including the
west wing .....)

GV II*

Manor house, now public house and dwelling. Earliest range
said to be late C15, main building c1540-50 for Richard
Bellingham, altered late C16, earlier range subsequently used
as farmbuildings and much altered, refenestrated and restored
as separate dwelling 1970s, main building restored 1988-9.
Flint pebble facing, coursed knapped flint to porch, quoins
and ashlar dressings, plinth, clay tile hipped roofs, numerous
brick and rendered stacks including external stack with
recessed panel on rear elevation. L-plan, C15 west wing (The
Old Manor House) abutting L-plan Hangleton Manor Inn, entrance
on north front via porch and screens passage opening onto
stair turret.
North front: 2-and-a-half storeys with lower 2-storey west
range, 1:1:1:2:8 bays, 2-and-a-half storey projecting gabled
porch third bay left, gable front end bay left, with C20
casement in gable end, 2-light to porch, windows ovolo moulded
mullion and transom under hoodmoulds unless otherwise stated,
first floor 10-light left, 6-light and in porch, rebuilt
3-light casement in partially blocked opening to right, ground
floor two 10-light left, two altered 6-light to right of porch
with square moulded entrance under hoodmould, inner
half-glazed door; long, lower western range of 8 bays with
mixed C20 renewed fenestration of 2- and 3-light square-headed
and Tudor-arch head casements, pvc 'leading' to west gable
end.
East front: 2 storeys, 3 bays, first floor 8-light mullion and
transom windows, ground floor 10-light centre, 3-light
casements with shaped wooden heads in end bays, entrance
between first and second bays right. Interior: framed wall to
west side of screens passage, west end, said to contain ovens,
and the The Old Manor House adjoining not seen; large
timber-framed newel staircase with turned balusters opening
out of through passage, remains of earlier timber newel stair
to right survives on upper storey. In room to left of screens
passage, fine late C16 panelling with fluted pilasters and
volute capitals with the Ten Commandments inscribed above,
unusual piscina in north wall, perhaps indicating, in
conjunction with the panelling, that the room was used as a
chapel. Moulded compartment ceiling with C16 plasterwork and
bosses bearing coats of arms. Two C16 chimneypieces, one with
a lintel of grotesque figures. Two original chimneypieces on
first floor, one bearing the initials RB (Richard Bellingham),
also remains of C17 wall painting of 3-masted schooner against
north wall and the reset south door of the through passage
with a scratch moulded sundial. Framed partitions and original
roof trusses of double butt-purlin construction said to
survive. The precise evolution of the house between the late
C15 and early C17 is still not clear.
In the mid C19 the farm included the whole ecclesiastical
parish of Hangleton; it ceased to be a farm after the Second
World War and the last remaining farm buildings were
demolished to make way for housing in the 1950s.
(Sussex Archaeological Collections: Hangleton Manor and its
History: 1886-; Victoria County History: The Rape of Lewes:
1940-).


Listing NGR: TQ2642906928

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.