This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8466 / 50°50'47"N
Longitude: -0.1852 / 0°11'6"W
OS Eastings: 527857
OS Northings: 106794
OS Grid: TQ278067
Mapcode National: GBR JNP.VBQ
Mapcode Global: FRA B6HV.PNN
Entry Name: West Blatchington Windmill
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Last Amended: 2 November 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187562
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365551
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Hangleton and Knoll
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: West Blatchington St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ20NE HOLMES AVENUE, West Blatchington
579-1/3/179 West Blatchington Windmill
(Formerly Listed as:
West Blatchington Mill and Barns)
Former windmill for milling corn with adjoining barn, now
restored as museum. c1820, restored 1937, 1966 and 1970s,
opened to the public 1976. Weather-boarded body and cap, base
and barn made of pebble and knapped flint with brick quoins
and dressings, half-hipped slate roof to barn. Plan: hexagonal
smock mill with fantail and 4 sails, or sweeps; barn abutting
south side and truncated remains of another abutting to east.
The 3 lower floors of the mill have circular window openings
and a round-headed blocked doorway on the north front.
Entrance on the south front via segmental-headed opening in
the barn. The sails are permenantly locked on the south side.
Interior: not seen. Said to contain original machinery
including an auxiliary iron bevel drive for the thresher on
the loading floor; an interesting A-frame support for the spur
wheel and main upright on the spout floor, which is an
authenticated re-use of ships timbers; and radial beam
construction supporting the dust floor visible from the bin
Milling ceased around 1900, the fantail was removed in 1934,
and barns to the south-west were destroyed by fire in 1936,
although the mill was undamaged. It was purchased by Hove
Corporation and opened to the public by The Friends of West
Blatchington Windmill. The mill was painted by Constable in
1825; reproduction of this watercolour and old photographs of
the mill and barns are on view inside the building.
Listing NGR: TQ2785706794
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings