History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos 2-48 and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Brunswick and Adelaide, The City of Brighton and Hove

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8252 / 50°49'30"N

Longitude: -0.1606 / 0°9'38"W

OS Eastings: 529649

OS Northings: 104464

OS Grid: TQ296044

Mapcode National: GBR JP3.27M

Mapcode Global: FRA B6KX.F7W

Entry Name: Nos 2-48 and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 10 September 1971

Last Amended: 2 November 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187570

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365573

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: Brunswick and Adelaide

Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Hove St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Brighton & Hove

Listing Text


HOVE

TQ2904SE LANSDOWNE PLACE
579-1/23/79 (East side)
10/09/71 Nos.2-48 (Even)
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
LANSDOWNE PLACE
(East side)
Nos.2-50 (Even))

GV II

Includes: Nos.44-47 WESTERN ROAD.
Terrace of dwellings, some inserted shop fronts at northern
end. c1830-40, partly refenestrated late C19, shop fronts
added mid-late C20. Architect C.A.Busby. Stucco over brick,
red brick facing to ground floor of former No.50, (now Nos
44-47 Western Road). Roofs concealed behind parapet. 4
storeys, full-height bow fronts with 3-window frontages, solid
baluster parapets, moulded cornice, flat string courses,
rusticated ground floors, sash windows with a variety of
glazing bar patterns, moulded surrounds to first floor windows
with individual cast-iron balconies, variety of doors, mainly
half-glazed C20. Cast-iron railings returned from entrances
along street frontage with gates to basement area. John Leech,
the artist and cartoonist, lived at No.16 in 1849.


Listing NGR: TQ2967604527

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.