History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

South and West Boundary Walls to St Mary's Convent

A Grade II Listed Building in South Portslade, The City of Brighton and Hove

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8431 / 50°50'35"N

Longitude: -0.2178 / 0°13'4"W

OS Eastings: 525573

OS Northings: 106352

OS Grid: TQ255063

Mapcode National: GBR JNT.5RD

Mapcode Global: FRA B6FW.2YQ

Entry Name: South and West Boundary Walls to St Mary's Convent

Listing Date: 2 November 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187577

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365594

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN41

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: South Portslade

Built-Up Area: Portslade-by-Sea

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Portslade St Nicolas and St Andrew and Mile Oak The Good Shepherd

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Shoreham-by-Sea

Listing Text


HOVE

TQ2506SE MANOR ROAD, Portslade
579-1/10/172 (West side)
South and West boundary walls to St
Mary's Convent

GV II

Boundary wall to St Mary's Convent (qv). Medieval in origin,
subsequent repairs and alterations. Coursed and random rubble
flint pebbles, cement coping. Plan: continuous length of wall
of varying heights returned south and then east along Manor
Road, north and then west forming boundary wall with the
churchyard of St Nicholas abutting the remains of the medieval
manor house (qv), one metre north of vestry, continued north
along footpath to High Street and returned to the junction
with Drove road; in all about 220m. The wall has a
round-arched blocked entrance at the south junction with the
High Street, of uncertain date. There is a doorway between the
Convent of St Mary (qv) and the churchyard, as indicated on
the OS map; moulded round-arched opening with plank door,
rebuilt mid-late C19. This entrance has inset beside it on the
churchyard elevation a memorial to the Borrer family who built
the manor house, now convent. The memorial takes the form of
an inset piece of medieval 2-light tracery, about 2m high, and
commemorates among others John Borrer died 1866 and his last
surviving daughter, died 1908. In the centre of the most
westerly stretch of wall, also marked on the OS map, is the
round-arched opening to the subway beneath Manor Road, giving
access to the gardens. These walls form part of a good group
of structures surrounding the Church of St Nicolas (qv).


Listing NGR: TQ2557306352

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.