History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Philip

A Grade II Listed Building in Westbourne, The City of Brighton and Hove

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8306 / 50°49'50"N

Longitude: -0.1889 / 0°11'20"W

OS Eastings: 527640

OS Northings: 105016

OS Grid: TQ276050

Mapcode National: GBR JNW.T84

Mapcode Global: FRA B6HW.VM9

Entry Name: Church of St Philip

Listing Date: 2 November 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187579

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365599

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: Westbourne

Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Aldrington

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Hove

Listing Text


HOVE

TQ20NE NEW CHURCH ROAD, Aldrington
579-1/3/152 (North side)
Church of St Philip

II

Parish church, altered to include parish hall. Opened for
services 1893, described as still unfinished in 1899, early
C20 end 3 bays converted into parish hall. Architect probably
John Oldred Scott. Red brick, squared and coursed flints,
ashlar dressings, slate roof, lead roof to apse of Lady
Chapel, wooden shingles to fleche.
Plan: 6 and a half bay nave with clerestory, north and south
aisles, western 3 bays closed off to form parish hall,
2-storey Lady Chapel with buttressed polygonal apse, priest's
door with porch, north-east vestry, entrance on south front
through double doors without porch. Diaperwork brick on flint
above heads of the 10 clerestory windows linked by continuous
entablature, chequerboard ashlar stone and dressed flint
below, one flying buttress of painted brick between south
aisle and nave, chequerboard parapet to aisles with paired
lancet windows, gable fronted priest's porch with diaperwork
brick on flint, rose window, 5-bay arcade to south front of
Lady Chapel with 4 lancets, arcade continued around apse with
stone shafts, brick spandrels and plinth, flintwork surrounds
to lancet windows, setback buttresses to east end,
chequerboard stone and flint in gable end, diaper work brick
on flint, brick relieving arch to 3-light East window flanked
by blind arcades; 2-light west window.
Interior: chequerboard brick and ashlar work nave. Ceiled
chancel roof, flat open rafter roof with asbestos sheeting to
nave, monopitch rafter roofs to aisles. Pointed chancel arch
of brick, chamfered in 3 orders and dying into imposts. Three
and a half bay arcade with round, banded piers of stone
carrying pointed arches. Five bay arcade to south wall of
chancel separating the Lady Chapel. Matchboard dado with
modillion-moulded rail to nave and aisles. West end glazed in
upper portion with large mural occupying lower half of wall.
Brass eagle lectern. Late C19 6-branch candelabra. Carved
angels surmounting columns forming curtain railing around
altar. Stone font of clustered marble columns. Stained glass
to East window. Chair seating. Lady Chapel and parish hall not
inspected.
A fine exterior. John Oldred Scott is credited as the
architect in the Goodhart-Rendel Index of Victorian Churches
located in the R.I.B.A. however the church is not mentioned in
Scott's obituary in The Builder, June 1913, Vol.104, p.650-1.


Listing NGR: TQ2764005016

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.