History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jaipur Gate in Gardens of No 19

A Grade II Listed Building in Westbourne, The City of Brighton and Hove

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8294 / 50°49'45"N

Longitude: -0.1811 / 0°10'51"W

OS Eastings: 528194

OS Northings: 104897

OS Grid: TQ281048

Mapcode National: GBR JNW.WKL

Mapcode Global: FRA B6HX.586

Entry Name: Jaipur Gate in Gardens of No 19

Listing Date: 2 November 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187580

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365600

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: Westbourne

Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Hove St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Hove

Listing Text


HOVE

TQ2804NW NEW CHURCH ROAD, Aldrington
579-1/16/150 (North side)
Jaipur Gate in gardens of No 19

II

Naqqakhana or drum platform. Built 1886, erected here 1926.
Carved in Shekhawati, Rajastan, India, for the Maharajah of
Jaipur who sent it to the Colonial and Indian Exhibition,
South Kensington, 1886. Wooden construction of Bombay teak on
concrete plinth with painted metal dome. Plan:
2-and-a-half-bay loggia, pierced balustrade, surmounted by
central cupola or chatri: no means of access to upper
platform. All surfaces covered with floral and geometrical
carving, entablature with inscriptions in English, Latin and
Sanskrit: "Where there is truth - is victory" (west front),
and "From the East comes light" (east front), deep overhanging
eaves with carved soffit. This is a reproduction in wood of
the drum platforms built of marble or sandstone in Northern
India from which drumrolls or fanfares in honour of rulers or
deities were sounded. It was presented to the Town Corporation
by the Imperial Institute when the adjoining Museum and Art
Gallery, (not included), was opened in 1926.
(Middleton J: A History of Hove: 1979-).


Listing NGR: TQ2819404897

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.