This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8303 / 50°49'49"N
Longitude: -0.1671 / 0°10'1"W
OS Eastings: 529180
OS Northings: 105020
OS Grid: TQ291050
Mapcode National: GBR JNX.SP4
Mapcode Global: FRA B6JX.4Q2
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Last Amended: 2 November 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187592
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365637
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Goldsmid
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Hove All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ2905SW THE DRIVE
579-1/15/120 (East side)
24/03/50 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Nave and aisles 1889-91, East end completed
1901, base of tower and narthex completed 1924. Architect
J.L.Pearson, work continued after his death in 1897 by his son
C13 French Gothic style.
Sussex sandstone, slate roofs, coped verges.
Plan: chancel with north-east and south-east chapels, north
vestry, north and south transepts which are continuations of
the aisles, 5-bay aisled nave, narthex and base of south-west
Interior: ashlar stone. Arcade of clustered columns with
pointed arches in C13 style, stone ribs to roof rising between
clerestory windows, wooden open rafter roof to nave, monopitch
roofs to aisles, stone vaults to west end bays, 3-tiers of
windbracing to chancel.
Chancel: reredos carved by Nathaniel Hitch, as were 5 seats in
north wall and sedilia in south wall. Brass altar rails.
Highly ornate choir stalls carved with figures, donated 1915.
Finely carved wooden screen with canopy between south chapel
and south transept, given in memory of those who died in the
First World War.
Wrought-iron screen to north chapel dating from 1940s.
Sumptuous organ case designed by Frank Pearson and built 1915,
organ 1905 by William Hill and Son. Octagonal marble font,
ornate cover with pulley dated 1928. Brass eagle lectern. Fine
stained glass by Clayton and Bell, all designed by Clement
Bell, 3 east windows, large west window, rose window to north
transept, and elsewhere in the aisles.
There is said to be a statue of the founder and first
incumbent, the Rev Thomas Peacey in the south-west corner of
the second stage of the tower; Peacey had earlier commissioned
Pearson to build St Barnabus, Byron St (qv). The tower was
All Saints became the parish church of Hove in 1892. A
(Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).
Listing NGR: TQ2917805016
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 5 December 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings