History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

36 and 38, Lower Market Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Penryn, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 50.1684 / 50°10'6"N

Longitude: -5.1035 / 5°6'12"W

OS Eastings: 178468

OS Northings: 34428

OS Grid: SW784344

Mapcode National: GBR ZC.GDL7

Mapcode Global: FRA 086K.TVT

Entry Name: 36 and 38, Lower Market Street

Listing Date: 22 September 1971

Last Amended: 18 July 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187641

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365785

Location: Penryn, Cornwall, TR10

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Penryn

Built-Up Area: Penryn

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Gluvias

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


580-1/5/102 Nos.36 AND 38
(Formerly Listed as:
(North side)
Nos.36-40 (Even))


Town house. C16, remodelled c1680; refronted C19. Render
replacing stucco on rubble (front partly rebuilt 1989); dry
slate roof; two C17 granite axial stacks with dressed
Single-depth front range parallel to street plus range at
right-angles on right of ope (through-passage) extended at
rear late C17; other part extended at rear late C17 and later.
2 storeys; 5-window range. C20 copy hornless sashes with
glazing bars (except sashes of window on right removed at time
of survey) over three C20 shop fronts with glazing bars. Rear
right-hand wing (not accessible at time of survey) had two C17
two-light wooden mullioned windows and a reused C18 sash with
thick glazing bars inside ope when last inspected.
Part of front rebuilt 1989 when many C17 chamfered fragments
were discovered (possibly in situ) but without being recorded
were built back as rubble into the wall and now rendered over.
INTERIOR not accessible at time of survey but when inspected
in 1989 had two C16 oak roof structures (centre of front and
on right other roof structures not inspected) with trusses
with curved feet, morticed cranked collars and threaded
purlins; C16, or early C17, chamfered oak beam and joist,
floor structures to wing on right.
C17 features including: 2 chamfered granite fireplaces;
ovolo-moulded ceiling joists to central room; 2 late C17
scratch-moulded doors in ovolo-moulded frames (a similar door
removed for safe-keeping); a fragment of carved and plaster
frieze between ground-floor rooms and evidence for a plaster
barrel ceiling visible in roof space.
C18 features including: several 2-panel doors with HL hinges;
open-well stair with C19 balustrade.
(The Penryn Survey Group: 1980-1990).

Listing NGR: SW7846834428

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.