This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1681 / 50°10'5"N
Longitude: -5.1042 / 5°6'15"W
OS Eastings: 178418
OS Northings: 34401
OS Grid: SW784344
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.GDDV
Mapcode Global: FRA 086K.TKW
Entry Name: Penryn Methodist Church, Schoolroom and Attached Forecourt Walls
Listing Date: 18 July 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187668
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365865
Location: Penryn, Cornwall, TR10
Civil Parish: Penryn
Built-Up Area: Penryn
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Gluvias
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW7834SW THE TERRACE
580-1/5/186 Penryn Methodist Church, Schoolroom
and attached forecourt walls
Nonconformist chapel. Datestone 1891 by J W Trounson, builder
Carkeek; stonework John Freemand & Co. Dressed granite front
with rockfaced ashlar plinth, some granite ashlar and
dressings; rock-faced granite brought to course and some red
granite, dressings including carved imposts, round arches and
moulded strings, otherwise granite rubble with granite
dressings and round brick arches except schoolroom with
granite lintels; dry slate and scantle slate roofs; cast-iron
ogee gutters; brick stack on left of schoolroom.
Rectangular aisle-less plan with galleries plus vestry at rear
and schoolroom at rear left. Italianate style.
2-storey elevations; 1:1:1-bay front end with central coped
gable flanked by moulded parapets fronting lean-to roofs.
Leaded glazed windows with coloured, probably memorial, glass;
paired windows with polished nook shafts and mullions except
for similarly detailed stepped 3-light central window over
pair of wide gabled doorways with moulded round arches
fronting loggia; jambs similar to window openings.
Inner doorways with pairs of 6-panel doors and similar return
doors to stairs, all with 2-pane fanlights. 5-bay side
elevations with original horned sashes with margin panes and
fanlight heads. Schoolroom has original doors and windows.
INTERIOR not inspected but likely to be complete: stained
glass by Messrs Fouracre & Co of Stonehouse; plaster ceiling
by Messrs Jackson & Son of London.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: granite rubble forecourt walls with
chamfered granite copings surmounted by twist wrought-iron
bars to otherwise plain railings. Central gateway with
square-on-plan granite gate-piers with moulded caps.
(Roddis R J: Penryn, The History of an Ancient Cornish
Borough: Penryn: 1964-: 154, 155).
Listing NGR: SW7841834401
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings