This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7134 / 51°42'48"N
Longitude: -1.966 / 1°57'57"W
OS Eastings: 402441
OS Northings: 201625
OS Grid: SP024016
Mapcode National: GBR 3QY.FRV
Mapcode Global: VHB2Q.V6ZC
Entry Name: Bowly's Cottages
Listing Date: 19 January 1981
Last Amended: 24 May 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365463
Location: Cirencester, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Cirencester
Built-Up Area: Cirencester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cirencester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP0201 WATERMOOR ROAD
578-1/6/325 (West side)
19/01/81 Nos.4-14 (Even)
(Formerly Listed as:
Sarah Bowley Almshouses)
Almshouses. Dated 1924. By N Jewson. Coursed limestone rubble;
stone slate roof with coped verges; 4 ashlar ridge and left
and right end stacks. Range of 6 almshouses with single bay
with coped gable to centre broken forward.
2-storey 7-window range. First floor has six 3-light chamfered
stone mullion windows with hexagonal pattern leaded light
casements, similar 2-light window with drip stone to centre.
Ground floor has 6 canted bays with stone-slated roofs and
chamfered plinths, each of 4 lights with chamfered stone
mullions and transoms and hexagonal pattern leaded lights; 6
plank doors with applied mouldings with Tudor-arched heads in
chamfered stone surrounds; to centre round-headed opening to
through passage to rear with chamfered stone surround.
Small recessed ashlar panels to first floor left and right
with carved Tudor roses to corners; ashlar panel over ground
floor centre with decorative border and lettering in relief
THESE ALMSHOUSES WERE BUILT/ IN 1924 AT THE SPECIAL DESIRE/ OF
MR CHRISTOPHER BOWLY OF/ CIRENCESTER BORN 1837 DIED 1922.
Small two-sided oriel feature with round-headed openings in
gable. Timber cupola with rendered base with panel with relief
lettering CB and lead roof with ball finial supporting
wrought-iron weather vane with cock. Flush quoins to left and
right angles of main range and gabled projection. INTERIORS
(DoE: List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic
Interest: Amendment: 1971-: 03.12.73).
Listing NGR: SP0244101624
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings