This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0494 / 52°2'57"N
Longitude: -2.6928 / 2°41'34"W
OS Eastings: 352586
OS Northings: 239231
OS Grid: SO525392
Mapcode National: GBR FM.F0MZ
Mapcode Global: VH85P.8RS8
Entry Name: Elgar Court
Listing Date: 21 November 1990
Last Amended: 27 July 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187687
English Heritage Legacy ID: 372356
Location: Hereford, County of Herefordshire, HR1
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Hereford
Built-Up Area: Hereford
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Tupsley
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO53NW HAMPTON PARK ROAD
683-1/4/219 (North side)
Nos 1-4 (cons) Elgar Court
(Formerly Listed as:
HAMPTON PARK ROAD
Formerly known as: Plas Gwyn HAMPTON PARK ROAD.
House, now flats. Mid C19, divided into flats in late C20.
Red brick, stuccoed to south and west elevations; hipped slate
roof with brackets to deep eaves; stuccoed stacks with moulded
cornices and panelled sides.
Double-depth plan with 2 south front rooms, side entrance to
axial hall passage and stairs. Former dining room to rear
left. The service rooms were in the basement. The stairs have
beem removed and the left (west) rooms were divided when the
house was converted into flats. Italianate style.
2 storeys, attic and basement. 2:2 window south front,
right-hand breaks forward. Wooden trellis and tented-roof
verandah on ground floor and basement, canted on right around
bay window. Ground floor French casements, 1st floor sashes
with segmental pediments on consoles, pair of sashes on right
under one pediment. Moulded strings at sill levels. Flat-roof
dormers above break eaves, and have moulded architraves.
Left-hand west return: verandah continues to central porch,
with stuccoed square columns and entablature, 2:1:2 windows
above, right-hand blind, 2 dormers breaking eaves. Opposite
east elevation, brick with 1:3 windows on ground floor and
paired windows above all with stuccoed architraves. Plain
brick rear (north) elevation.
INTERIOR: only ground floor inspected. Although stairs removed
and dining and drawing rooms divided, the moulded plaster
cornices and joinery are intact. Front right (SE) room,
Elgar's study has not been divided and retains moulded ceiling
cornice with oval medallion frieze, but the chimneypiece is a
HISTORICAL NOTE: Plas Gwyn was the home of the composer Sir
Edward Elgar from 1904 to 1912. He moved to Plas Gwyn at the
begining of his rise to popularity and here he wrote many of
his best known works, including Pomp and Circumstance Marches
Nos. 3 and 4, Introduction and Allegro for Strings, The
Kingdom, Wand of Youth Suites 1 and 2, Symphonies Nos.1 and 2
and the Violin Concerto.
(Wulfstan-Atkins E: The Elgar Atkins friendship: 1984-).
Listing NGR: SO5336940202
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings