History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Brothers Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.996 / 51°59'45"N

Longitude: -2.1561 / 2°9'21"W

OS Eastings: 389379

OS Northings: 233074

OS Grid: SO893330

Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.V08

Mapcode Global: VH93T.L306

Entry Name: The Brothers Public House

Listing Date: 4 March 1952

Last Amended: 25 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187708

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376801

Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Tewkesbury

Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text


TEWKESBURY

SO8933 HIGH STREET
859-1/5/218 (West side)
04/03/52 Nos.54 AND 55
The Brothers Public House (55)
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET
(West side)
Nos.54 AND 55
George Hotel)

GV II

Pair of houses at end of row, with public house (No.55). Early
C19. L-plan: shallow-depth front range with mansard slope to
the front, central projecting stair turret and 2 narrow gabled
wings to the rear. Flemish bond brickwork, painted to 55, tile
roof, brick stacks.
3 storeys, attic and basement, 2+2-windowed. Broad 16-pane
sashes to wide-splayed brick voussoirs and fluted keystones
with cornice, stone cills. Plat band above ground-floor
windows. No.54 has central 5-panel door in pilaster doorcase
to a flat entablature and deep panelled reveals. No.55, 'The
Brothers', has a late C19 rebuilt ground floor, with broad
2-light recessed and splayed bay with rectangular leaded
lights, under a 4-centred head. To the left is a 6-panel door
with a 2-pane transom-light to a 4-centred head. Small plinth,
pavement cellar access to 55. Coped parapet, one small dormer
to the right of 54, and coped verge to left gable. Cropped
brick stack to the right gable. The return left, to Red Lane,
is in plain brickwork, but with a former opening to the ground
floor, left, now blocked, and a single light to the attic. The
rear roof slope is in one plane (not mansard form), and there
is a hipped stair projection behind 54 and a deep paired-gable
wing to 55.
INTERIOR not inspected. This was formerly the George Hotel.


Listing NGR: SO8937933073

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.