History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Borrowcop Pavilion

A Grade II Listed Building in Lichfield, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6752 / 52°40'30"N

Longitude: -1.8182 / 1°49'5"W

OS Eastings: 412388

OS Northings: 308622

OS Grid: SK123086

Mapcode National: GBR 4DV.93Q

Mapcode Global: WHCGW.10GZ

Entry Name: Borrowcop Pavilion

Listing Date: 6 March 1970

Last Amended: 17 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187718

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382656

Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS14

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Lichfield

Built-Up Area: Lichfield

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Lichfield St Michael and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Lichfield

Listing Text


LICHFIELD

SK10NW HILLSIDE, Borrowcop Hill
1094-1/3/239 (West side (off))
06/03/70 Borrowcop Pavilion
(Formerly Listed as:
BORROWCOP HILL
Observation Pavilion)

II

Pavilion. c1800, restored 1980s. Brick with pyramidal tile
roof. Square structure with 2 round arches to each side.
Cogged brick cornice, and ball finial to roof. Arches have
square brick piers and pilasters, and narrow imposts to proud
brick arches. INTERIOR has spine wall with bench to each side
and embossed-tile paving; renewed roof timbers. There may have
been an Anglo-Saxon fortification on this site, which is also
the traditional site of the graves of 3 Christian kings who
were killed in battle with King Penda, AD 288, and appear on
the city seal. The present structure, built by 1804, replaces
one built c1750, which probably replaced a C17 structure
called the Temple. The hill was a place for walks and other
entertainments; there is an extensive view of Lichfield.
(Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W:
Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.7, 163).


Listing NGR: SK1238808622

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.