History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former St Mary's Infants' School

A Grade II Listed Building in Lichfield, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6837 / 52°41'1"N

Longitude: -1.8305 / 1°49'49"W

OS Eastings: 411552

OS Northings: 309568

OS Grid: SK115095

Mapcode National: GBR 4DN.L1Z

Mapcode Global: WHCGN.VSHZ

Entry Name: Former St Mary's Infants' School

Listing Date: 14 February 1975

Last Amended: 17 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187732

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382699

Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Lichfield

Built-Up Area: Lichfield

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Lichfield St Michael and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Lichfield

Listing Text


LICHFIELD

SK1109NE POOL WALK
1094-1/5/139 (South side)
14/02/75 Former St Mary's Infants' School
(Formerly Listed as:
MINSTERPOOL WALK
St Mary's Infants' School)

GV II

Former Diocesan Training School and Commercial School. 1840,
small extension of 1869. By Thomas Johnson of Lichfield. Brick
with buff brick diapering and ashlar dressings; slate roof
with brick end stack. Single storey, 4-window, range with
cross wing. Ashlar sill course and coped gable with kneelers.
Double-chamfered cross-mullioned windows with small-paned
glazing, mostly of elongated octagons and squares, and plate
glass opening lights; wing has similar 4-light transomed
window; roundel above has enriched iron grille above. Left
return has coped gable with finial over 2 windows. Rear has
simpler details. Left return has lateral stack and small
gabled wing to rear; archway to area has plank door. The
school was used by St Mary's Schools from 1863-1981 and by
Lichfield Cathedral School until 1989.
(Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W:
Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.176-8, 182).


Listing NGR: SK1155209568

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.