This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6829 / 52°40'58"N
Longitude: -1.8269 / 1°49'36"W
OS Eastings: 411796
OS Northings: 309481
OS Grid: SK117094
Mapcode National: GBR 4DN.T2M
Mapcode Global: WHCGN.XT6L
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 6 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382611
Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13
Civil Parish: Lichfield
Built-Up Area: Lichfield
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Lichfield St Michael and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/07/2017
BORE STREET (South East side)
Guildhall. Parts probably C16 or C17 but extensively rebuilt c1707 and extended to rear 1742; early C19 alterations; hall rebuilt 1846-8, by Joseph Potter Jnr of Lichfield. Brick with ashlar facade; brick rear wing; tile roofs. Right-angle plan with earlier rear wing.
EXTERIOR: Hall in Gothic style: two storeys. Offset plinth, cornice over ground floor; first floor offset buttresses and sill course, coped gable. Two pointed-arch entrances, that to left has triple-chamfered continuous moulding and hood to heavy door with strap hinges; that to right has hood and paired half-glazed doors with studs and strap hinges. First floor window has five-light plate tracery with hood and relief flower motifs, plain blind roundel above. Stair wing to left has offset ground floor and coped parapet; first floor has two-light single-chamfered plate tracery window. Plaque below window commemorates Coronation of George V and Mary and is flanked by their busts. Returns have two-light first floor windows with ashlar plate tracery. Rear wing of various dates, part to rear with rubble base and early brickwork over, incorporating blocked C16 window of three triangular-headed lights with brick mullions; C18 and C19 brickwork above; varied fenestration; left return has three sashed windows to first floor.
INTERIOR: Passage with iron grille with gate and cells to left; hall has hammerbeam roof and panelling; arch to south has glazed infill over trefoil-headed arcading and benches used by quarter sessions; fireplace has segmental-pointed arch and C16 cast-iron fireback with Royal arms; 1811 stained glass to north window taken from north transept of Cathedral in 1891, figures of founders and patrons of the Cathedral and 1891 figure of Queen Victoria. Rear staircase has simple turned balusters, square newels and moulded handrail. c1710 cells to rear range have barrel vaults, segmental-headed entrances with original doors and shuttered and barred windows, benches and latrines; outer entrance and mullioned window now in later infill wing.
HISTORY: The hall was used by the Guild of St Mary and St John the Baptist until its dissolution, and by the Corporation from 1548.
Listing NGR: SK1179609481
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings