This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6842 / 52°41'3"N
Longitude: -1.8181 / 1°49'5"W
OS Eastings: 412394
OS Northings: 309627
OS Grid: SK123096
Mapcode National: GBR 4DN.P52
Mapcode Global: WHCGP.1SJL
Entry Name: Law Monument by Churchyard Entrance to North East of Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 17 June 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382622
Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13
Civil Parish: Lichfield
Built-Up Area: Lichfield
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Lichfield St Michael and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK1209NW CHURCH STREET
1094-1/6/70 (South side)
Law monument by churchyard entrance
to north-east of Church of St
Monument to James Thomas Law, Chancellor of the Diocese and
Master of the Hospital of St John, d.1876, and his wife
Henrietta Charlotte, d.1866. 1864. By Chancellor Law. Ashlar
with some stippled tooling. Rectangular monument on 2 steps
has 3 trefoil-headed arches to sides and 2 to ends; drip
course, deep frieze with guilloche moulding and top cornice
with brattishing; pyramidal ashlar roof and finial with cross
in heavy roundel. Arches have no mouldings; square piers have
capitals with mouldings to sides; iron rails within arches. 2
gabled slabs inside have inscriptions. Originally had clock
illuminated by gas to top roundel, for people using the main
road to Burton and the Trent Valley Railway Station.
Chancellor Law was an important local benefactor.
Listing NGR: SK1239409627
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings