This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2094 / 52°12'33"N
Longitude: -1.6606 / 1°39'38"W
OS Eastings: 423289
OS Northings: 256853
OS Grid: SP232568
Mapcode National: GBR 5N0.F0C
Mapcode Global: VHBXV.5QGM
Entry Name: Alveston House
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187754
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366128
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Alveston St James
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
604-1/2/267 Alveston House
Small country house. 1689 with C18 alterations. Brick with
blue headers and ashlar dressings; hipped tile roof with 2
brick cross-axial stacks and stack to valley. Double-depth
plan. Restoration style.
2 storeys with attic and basement; symmetrical 5-bay range.
Ashlar-coped plinth, platt band over ground floor and quoins;
top modillioned timber cornice. c1750 entrance has Doric porch
with triglyph frieze with flowers to metopes and guttae;
enriched soffit; overlight with decorative glazing bars to
4-panel door. Windows have moulded sills, and rubbed brick
flat arches with keys over 18-pane sashes with wide frames;
basement has 2-light single-chamfered windows with flat-faced
mullions, blocked; attic has 2 flat-roofed dormers with
cornices and 2-light casements. Lantern to angle.
7-bay right return, garden front: 3-bay pedimented centre with
2-bay windows. Entrance has doorcase with architrave, frieze
and cornice, panelled pilasters and deep bracketed open
pediment. Windows have 12-pane sashes, the central 1st-floor
window with rusticated brick jambs and similar flat arch,
ashlar key with rosette: 4 dormers. Pediment has armorial
crest. Rear similar to front; barred basement windows and
rainwater head with mask. Left return has several blocked
windows and sashed stair window over C20 single-storey
additions replacing C19 service range.
INTERIOR: rooms have cornices and stone fireplaces; entrance
hall has 2 fluted pilasters; C20 stair replacing one of
unknown date with iron balusters; front room with cast-iron
Adam-style fireplace with figures and foliage ?late C19; room
to left with dado panelling and triglyph frieze; room to
right, divided, has cornice with egg-and-dart moulding; 1st
floor has rear room with fielded-panelled dado; attic has
exposed collar trusses with curved principals; cellars have
flag floors with drainage channels, some chamfered beams and 2
vaulted chambers, one a wine cellar; water pump.
A good example of a small Restoration country house set
between the old church of St James (qv) and the River Avon.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-:
Listing NGR: SP2328956853
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings