This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1904 / 52°11'25"N
Longitude: -1.708 / 1°42'28"W
OS Eastings: 420055
OS Northings: 254723
OS Grid: SP200547
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.M0C
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.B6WP
Entry Name: Guildhall,king Edward Vi Grammar School
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 4 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187780
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366199
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP2054NW CHURCH STREET
604-1/10/52 (East side)
25/10/51 Guildhall, King Edward VI Grammar
(Formerly Listed as:
King Edward VI Grammar School; The
Old Vicarage; The Pedagogue's House)
Formerly known as: Guildhall (part) CHURCH STREET.
Guildhall, now school, incorporating slightly earlier house to
rear. c1417, bay to left end slightly later. For the Guild of
the Holy Cross. Timber-frame with plaster infill on renewed
ashlar base; tile roof. L-plan.
2 storeys; 6-window range. 1st floor jettied on joist ends
with moulded bressumer. Entry to left end bay has iron gates.
Ground floor has 5-light windows with leaded glazing behind
diagonal wood mullions and plain sills, 3-light window to left
end; 1st floor has 4-light windows, but one to left end of 2
lights and one to centre of 3 lights, leaded glazing. Close
studding with tension braces to right end.
Rear has jettied 1st floor and gabled wing to left with inner
return lean-to outshut and outer return gabled wing; return
entrance and elliptical arch to through-passage; varied
fenestration including large 6- and 7-light diagonal-mullioned
windows to ground floor, cross-casements to 1st floor; wing
has 1st floor 4-light ovolo-mullioned and transomed window,
similar 3-light windows to gabled dormers to outshut, one to
INTERIOR: hall has double-chamfered beams and C15 moulded
spine beam, blocked south window; signs of dais and remains of
C15 wall paintings and inscription; C20 stair and original
winding stair. Over Hall has varying arch-braced tie beam
trusses with collars and struts, signs of partitioning to 2nd
from south; plaster panel with inscribed names etc, and old
desks and master's chair; wing (armoury) has early C17
panelling and fireplace with painted Stuart arms, ogee-headed
doorway has remains of painted decoration; upper room has
moulded ceiling beams to c1500 ceiling now removed and
painting of Tudor roses etc; ogee-headed doorway with battened
wide-boarded door with strap hinges.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the guild was founded in 1269 and refounded
after amalgamations in 1403; it was suppressed in 1547 and the
Guildhall passed to the corporation, who used the hall for
meetings until 1842; plays were performed here 1569 and later.
The guild's school was reconstituted as the present grammar
school in 1555, the Over Hall being used for teaching; its
most notable pupil was, it is said, William Shakespeare,
(VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon
and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-: 12; Fogg N:
Stratford-upon-Avon: Portrait of a Town: Chichester: 1986-:
3-9, 19; Forrest H E: The Old Houses of Stratford-upon-Avon:
London: 1925-: 129FF; Puddephat W: The Guild Chapel & Other
Guild Buildings of Stratford-upon-Avon: Stratford-upon-Avon:
Listing NGR: SP2011354695
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings