This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1725 / 52°10'20"N
Longitude: -1.712 / 1°42'43"W
OS Eastings: 419794
OS Northings: 252727
OS Grid: SP197527
Mapcode National: GBR 4M0.L11
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.8NTG
Entry Name: Clifford Forge House
Listing Date: 4 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187782
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366207
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP15SE CLIFFORD LANE, Clifford Chambers
604-1/3/333 (South side (off))
Clifford Forge House
House. C18 altered and enlarged c1820. For the manager of
adjacent mill. Brick on rubble plinth with stucco facade;
slate roof with brick end stack and cross-axial stack.
Double-depth plan. Georgian style.
3 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. Plinth, channelled
rustication to ground floor and 2 platt bands; top frieze,
cornice and parapet. Entrance has overlight with decorative
glazing bars over small-paned half-glazed door, in recessed
porch with angle pilasters and Tuscan entablature; centre
breaks forward on fluted Doric columns and with Greek gable.
Ground floor has windows with 4:12:4-pane tripartite sashes;
1st and 2nd floors have windows with sills, and 12-pane sashes
to 1st floor and 6-pane sashes to 2nd floor. Left return has 2
gables with end stacks flanking segmental-headed windows.
Rear has C19 brick to right of plastered earlier part. Ground
floor has 2 canted bay windows with brick plinths, one with
1:2:1-light small-paned glazing under hipped roof, one with
4:12:4-pane sashes; 1st floor has one window with small-paned
glazing and one with 12-pane horned sash; 2nd floor has 2
windows with 6-pane sashes; right end has brick flat arch over
window to each floor, that to ground floor with 12-pane horned
sash, to 1st floor with 12-pane sash and to 2nd floor with
6-pane sash. Right return is stuccoed with C20 windows and
porch; attached L-plan range of outbuildings with tile roof
and large stack.
INTERIOR: several c1820 doors and frames; stick baluster
staircase; ground floor right room has exposed chamfered beam;
some ex-situ fireplaces.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the mill was used as a forge in the early
part of the C19, and was rebuilt as a flour mill in 1853.
(VCH: Gloucestershire: 1965-: 214).
Listing NGR: SP1979452727
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings