History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elmhurst

A Grade II Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1868 / 52°11'12"N

Longitude: -1.709 / 1°42'32"W

OS Eastings: 419988

OS Northings: 254323

OS Grid: SP199543

Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.SWM

Mapcode Global: VHBY0.B9CF

Entry Name: Elmhurst

Listing Date: 9 February 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187785

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366216

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Shottery

Listing Text


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP1954 COLLEGE LANE
604-1/5/61 (North side)
09/02/72 Elmhurst

GV II

House. C17 or early C18. Brick with coursed squared limestone
to ground floor of front; tile roof with coped left gable and
right brick end stack. Single storey with attic; 2-window
range. Windows to ground floor have C20 small-paned casements;
1st floor has signs of 2 blocked openings and a hipped dormer
with small-paned cross-casement, skylight to right. Right end
of ground floor has timber lintel over later stone infill
indicating former cart entrance; stonework to left end has
coping and is continued as garden wall in snecked stone with
added brick courses. Left return has ogee-headed 1st-floor
window with C20 small-paned casement under tympanum; gable
originally with stone pinnacles, probably from the medieval
college building on the site. Rear has later gabled timber
porch and 2 dormers. The building is believed to have been an
outbuilding to the College, used by the medieval priests of
the collegiate church of Holy Trinity and demolished in 1799,
the stone ground floor being part of the boundary wall. The
surrounding area was developed in the early C19 as an area of
good quality housing.


Listing NGR: SP1998854323

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.