History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burman's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1915 / 52°11'29"N

Longitude: -1.7348 / 1°44'5"W

OS Eastings: 418222

OS Northings: 254835

OS Grid: SP182548

Mapcode National: GBR 4LS.D7N

Mapcode Global: VHB0J.W56V

Entry Name: Burman's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 4 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187790

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366227

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Shottery St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Shottery

Listing Text


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP1854 COTTAGE LANE, Shottery
604-1/5/305 (South West side)
25/10/51 Burman's Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
STRATFORD ON AVON
COTTAGE LANE, Shottery
Shottery Grange)

II

Shown on OS map as The Grange.
Farmhouse now house. Late C18-early C19, embodying earlier
fabric. Painted brick, mostly worn away; tile roof with brick
stacks. Double-depth plan.
2 storeys, 5-window range. 3 gabled wings with catslide
outshut to left and single-storey kitchen wing to left return;
lean-to outshut to right return. Entrance to central gable has
C20 pentice on timber posts, and C20 three-panel door; small
window to right. Segmental-headed windows have pegged
cross-casements with small-paned glazing; 3-light transomed
window to left of entrance and to outshut to right; 1st floor
has 4 windows with cross-casements; outshut to left has
4-light window and triangular dormer with 3-light casement.
Cross-axial stack and stack to central wing.
Rear has hipped left end, possibly later, which has small
porch and balcony over attached projecting loggia with re-used
moulded beam to inner return, French window to 1st floor;
straight joint to left of segmental-headed entrance, which has
gabled canopy over plank door with heavy pegged frame. Windows
to ground floor have segmental heads: 3-light transomed window
and cross casement to left of endtrance, 2 Tudor-headed lights
with iron lattice glazing and straight-headed 4-light window
under relieving arch; 1st floor has 3-light transomed window
with some leaded glazing, cross-casement window with leaded
glazing, segmental-headed window with 3-light casement and
window with 2-light leaded casement; 2 gabled dormers with
2-light leaded casements. Right end lateral stack.
INTERIOR: noted as having chamfered beams and fireplace
bressumers.


Listing NGR: SP1822254835

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.