This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1923 / 52°11'32"N
Longitude: -1.7345 / 1°44'4"W
OS Eastings: 418248
OS Northings: 254932
OS Grid: SP182549
Mapcode National: GBR 4LS.DBM
Mapcode Global: VHB0J.W5F6
Entry Name: Hathaway Hamlet
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 4 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366230
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Shottery St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP1854 COTTAGE LANE, Shottery
604-1/5/308 (North East side)
25/10/51 Nos.11 AND 12 Hathaway Hamlet
(Formerly Listed as:
COTTAGE LANE, Shottery
House, divided into 2 in C18 and back to one in late C20. C17
with C18 (dated 1717) and later alterations. Coursed rubble
with brick gables; concrete tile roof with brick end stacks.
2 storeys with attic; 2-window range. Interrupted platt band
over ground floor. Paired entrances have plank doors in heavy
frames. Windows have casements; ground floor has 2-light
leaded casement and 3-light small-paned casement; 1st floor
has 2 small-paned casements of 3 lights, one with some leaded
glazing. Plaque to centre of 1st floor inscribed: S and E K/
1717 (probably Samuel Kitchen and wife).
Returns have continued platt band and steep gables with C18 or
early C19 windows: left return has 2 Tudor-headed windows with
small-paned glazing; right return has one such window and one
window with Tudor-headed glazing in straight-headed opening.
Rear has projecting courses to upper part of wall, and 8-light
window to 1st floor.
Hathaway Hamlet dates from the C17, when it was a collection
of 2 or 3 cottages and farm buildings; in the late C18 most of
the buildings were converted into workhouse and almshouses for
the parish of Old Stratford, being superseded in 1836 by the
union workhouse in Stratford. The house had a weaving shop
used by John Morris in the late C17 and was divided between
his sons-in-law, Samuel and Adam, by his will, one of whom
retained the weaving shop.
(Bearman R: Hathaway Hamlet: typed notes: 1972-).
Listing NGR: SP1824854932
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings