History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garrick Inn

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1918 / 52°11'30"N

Longitude: -1.7073 / 1°42'26"W

OS Eastings: 420107

OS Northings: 254876

OS Grid: SP201548

Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.F6G

Mapcode Global: VHBY0.C59M

Entry Name: Garrick Inn

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187814

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366288

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Stratford-upon-Avon

Listing Text


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW HIGH STREET
604-1/10/122 (West side)
25/10/51 No.25
Garrick Inn

GV II*

Public house. c1596; facade heavily restored c1912, replacing
c1800 brick front. Timber-frame with plaster infill; tile roof
with rear brick stacks.
3 storeys; symmetrical 2-window range. 1st and 2nd floors
jettied on brackets, moulded bressumer to 2nd floor; two C20
gables to attic with enriched barge-boards. Entrance to left
end has stained-glass overlight to plank door. Ground and 1st
floors have 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed windows,
those to ground floor with continuous row of small square
lights above; attic has 2-light windows; all with leaded
glazing. Upper floors have square framing with concave-sided
diamonds. Early C20 bracketed timber sign board. Rear wing
with cross-axial stack.
INTERIOR: exposed timber-framing and beams.
HISTORICAL NOTE: said to have been the place where the plague
of 1564 started and to have been an inn from 1718; name
changed from the Greyhound to the Garrick in 1795, in honour
of David Garrick, who did much for the town's tourist trade by
his encouragement of enthusiasm for Shakespeare.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 40; Fogg N: Stratford-upon-Avon:
Portrait of a Town: Chichester: 1986-: 16, 100; Forrest H E:
The Old Houses of Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 72).


Listing NGR: SP2010754876

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.