This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1886 / 52°11'19"N
Longitude: -1.7086 / 1°42'31"W
OS Eastings: 420014
OS Northings: 254525
OS Grid: SP200545
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.LV6
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.B8K1
Entry Name: Hall's Croft and Attached Garden Wall
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 4 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366336
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP2054NW OLD TOWN
604-1/10/159 (North East side)
25/10/51 Hall's Croft and attached garden
(Formerly Listed as:
(North East side)
Town house now museum and club and attached wall. Early C16
with c1600 addition to right; C19 and C20 alterations and
1920s and 1950s restorations. Timber-frame with plaster infill
on coursed rubble plinth; tile roof with stone and brick
stacks. 3-unit plus cross-wing plan.
2 storeys with attic; 4-window range. Left half has jettied
1st floor with 2 gables, the right half has gable to right.
Entrance to left of centre has studded and battened door with
overlight. Wooden-mullioned windows: 4-light window to left of
entrance and small 2-light window to right; right end has
2-storey canted bay window with dentilled cornice and
1:3:1-light windows; 1st floor has 3-light ovolo-mullioned
window flanked by 4-light windows and 2-light window to right;
gables to left have 3-light windows. Large cross-axial stack
has 4 clustered and attached brick shafts. Left end has close
studding with square framing to 1st floor; right end has
storey-height posts with middle rail. C20 timber gutters and
lead rainwater heads and downspouts.
Right return has single-storey addition with flat-roofed
projection to front which has entrance with battened door;
return has segmental-headed windows with 8:16:8-pane sashes,
and 2-storey timber-framed wing to rear; entrance has studded
and battened door with strap hinges.
Rear has right end as to front, with varied mullioned
fenestration; wing to left has storey-height posts; re-entrant
block has gable to each side and paired mullioned windows,
entrance to angle with plank door. Large axial stack to left
end, and stack to left of right end gable with diagonal brick
INTERIOR: heavy chamfered beams and joists; ground floor has
flagged floors. Hall has stone fireplace with Tudor arch in
square-headed architrave, battened door to room to left, which
has similar fireplace; room to right end has stone fireplace
and C17 panelling with entablature; open-well staircase to
rear wing has simply turned balusters, dentilled handrail and
string, and square baluster-form newels with finials; rear
kitchen has large elliptical-headed fireplace with fan-spit
and battened doors. 1st floor has right end room with barrel
vaulted ceiling and Tudor-arched fireplace; room to left,
formerly ?3, has 2 similar fireplaces.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wall extends approx 43.5m to
left along Old Town; coursed rubble with brick coping, paired
gates with timber gatepiers to right end attached to house.
HISTORICAL NOTE: formerly the home of John Hall, 1575-1635, an
eminent local physician, and his wife Susanna Shakespeare,
1583-1649, from their marriage in 1607 until they moved to New
Place after her father William Shakespeare's death in 1616; it
was bought by the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust in 1949 and
opened to the public; part is used by the Festival Club.
(VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon
and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-: 15-6; Fox L: Hall's
Croft: Norwich: 1981-).
Listing NGR: SP2001454525
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings