History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1946 / 52°11'40"N

Longitude: -1.7049 / 1°42'17"W

OS Eastings: 420270

OS Northings: 255196

OS Grid: SP202551

Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.7T5

Mapcode Global: VHBY0.D3KF

Entry Name: Baptist Church

Listing Date: 9 February 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366347

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Stratford-upon-Avon

Listing Text


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2055SW PAYTON STREET
604-1/8/167 (North side)
09/02/72 Baptist Church

GV II

Baptist church. 1835-6. Painted brick with stucco front; slate
roof. Rectangular plan. Simple Greek Revival style. Channelled
rustication to front, and tetrastyle Doric portico, with
unfluted columns in pairs, triglyphs and guttae to
entablature, date to pediment. Entrance has doorcase with
panelled pilaster strips, rosettes and altered pediment;
paired half-glazed doors. 4-window returns have modillioned
brick cornices and tall plain battered windows with sills, and
rubbed brick flat arches over small-paned glazing, 2 with
leaded glazing to left return, end gabled projection; right
return has end round-headed window over entrance. INTERIOR
noted as having aedicule to end, cornice and ceiling roses.
Baptist meetings started in 1826, and a church was organised
in 1832. Part of the early C19 development of northern
Stratford, known as New Town.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 65).


Listing NGR: SP2027055196

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.