History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stratford Upon Avon Grammar School for Girls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1899 / 52°11'23"N

Longitude: -1.7248 / 1°43'29"W

OS Eastings: 418911

OS Northings: 254663

OS Grid: SP189546

Mapcode National: GBR 4LS.NRK

Mapcode Global: VHBY0.2712

Entry Name: Stratford Upon Avon Grammar School for Girls

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187858

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366412

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Shottery St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Shottery

Listing Text


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP1854 SHOTTERY, Shottery
604-1/5/315 (East side)
25/10/51 Stratford-Upon-Avon Grammar School
for Girls

GV II*

Formerly known as: Manor House Farmhouse Shottery.
Shewn on OS map as Shottery Manor.
Manor house, now school. Probably originally a farm building,
the property of Evesham Abbey (mentioned in document of 1402);
converted to house in C15, windows of late C17; altered and
part demolished in mid to late C18; early to mid C20
additions. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings;
renewed tile roof with rebuilt brick stack to front of ridge
and other brick stacks. Half-H plan and single storey south
wing.
2 storeys; 10-window range, but some windows blocked. Central
entrance has brick 4-centred moulded arch with dripstone and
old battened door. Windows have lintels with keys over wooden
cross-casements with leaded glazing; ground floor has 3
windows to left of entrance and brick-blocked window to left
end; 2 canted bay windows to right of entrance, with hipped
roofs and 1:3:1-light transomed and leaded windows below
lintels to original windows, 2 such lintels over entrance; 1st
floor has 5 glazed and 5 blocked windows, one brick-blocked;
C18 gabled dormer to right half. Rainwater head with Harewell
arms; attached convex walls to ends. Timber-framed gable to
left return; 1st floor has 5-light ovolo mullioned and
transomed window. Rear has later 2-storey projection with
parapet and balcony on timber posts between re-entrant blocks,
one a porch.
Wing to left is brick with timber-framed 1st floor; large
external end stack and return Tudor-headed entrance with heavy
frame and plank door. Wing to right has cross wing enclosing
balcony and stair to inner return; stone with brick 1st floor.
INTERIOR: exposed original rear wall; hall and entrance lobby
have C17 panelling with top fluted panels, chamfered beams and
plasterwork motifs to ceiling, fireplace with hollow-chamfered
bressumer and plaster overmantel with 3 panels, inverted rose
sprigs flanking Harewell arms; room to left has C17 panelling
and chamfered beams, and bressumer to brick fireplace; room to
right has C18 fireplace and round-headed cupboard; stair has
square turned balusters and newels; window to landing has
armorial glass, some panelling to end; left end has good C15
three-bay hammerbeam roof, originally longer, 3 trusses with
arch-braced hammer beams with arch-braced collars, moulded
members, double purlins with window braces; large brick
chimney breast, stepped in to top, with C20 ashlar
Tudor-arched fireplace and cornice.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the manor was owned by Evesham Abbey until
some time in the C14 and was the property of the Harewell
family 1402-c1746, and of the Flower family of Stratford from
1919.
(VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon
and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-: 17; Buildings of
England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 397;
Belton J J: Shottery the Mother of Stratford; reprint from
Scene: 1950-: 524-5).


Listing NGR: SP1891154663

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.