History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forresters

A Grade II Listed Building in Harwich, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9454 / 51°56'43"N

Longitude: 1.2885 / 1°17'18"E

OS Eastings: 626104

OS Northings: 232545

OS Grid: TM261325

Mapcode National: GBR VQK.W17

Mapcode Global: VHLCG.9C1H

Entry Name: Forresters

Listing Date: 25 September 1951

Last Amended: 18 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187880

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366473

Location: Harwich, Tendring, Essex, CO12

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Harwich

Built-Up Area: Harwich

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: The Harwich Peninsula

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Harwich

Listing Text


HARWICH

TM2632NW CHURCH STREET
609-1/2/6 (South West side)
25/09/51 No.5
Forresters
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET
(South West side)
No.5)

GV II

Formerly known as: Foresters Public House CHURCH STREET.
House, formerly public house, mid to late C16. Timber-framed
and rendered with gabled clay plain tile roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics and long wall jetty to
frontage. Street elevation has one wide, shallow, double-hung
sash window with small panes and one 2-light casement with
small panes and moulded surround, on first floor. Ground floor
has a 3-light C19 window with short flanking pilasters, a C19
door with 2 arch-headed panes (moved from elsewhere) and a
double-hung sash with small panes and moulded surround.
Off-centre ridgeline stack and one small gabled dormer with
2-light casement window.
To the rear is a part 2-storey and part single-storey
extension, retained from former public house use. 4 bays of
timber-framing, largely elm, the southern bays forming large
chamber on ground and first floors with flat chamfered and
stopped spine and bridging joists. Central wall posts are
jowlless and without tiebeam and southern end of structure has
been truncated. Narrow stack bay with jowled posts and open
truss on north-western flank. Narrow northern bay was
presumably a service room on ground floor. Roof contains one
poorly-shaped crown post and side purlins with suggestions of
wind bracing. (Hybrid roof?).
INTERIOR: corner cupboard in main ground floor room of C18
with half-domed interior, Tuscan pilasters, serpentine
shelves, from elsewhere in Harwich. Brick-vaulted cellar in
rear extension as 'rain back'.
(RCHME: Essex North East: London: 1922-: 135, ITEM 11).


Listing NGR: TM2610432545

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.