This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9368 / 51°56'12"N
Longitude: 1.2812 / 1°16'52"E
OS Eastings: 625644
OS Northings: 231564
OS Grid: TM256315
Mapcode National: GBR VQR.DQR
Mapcode Global: VHLCG.5L53
Entry Name: Market Hall and Railings on South East and South West Sides
Listing Date: 20 June 1972
Last Amended: 18 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187913
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366568
Location: Harwich, Tendring, Essex, CO12
Civil Parish: Harwich
Built-Up Area: Harwich
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: The Harwich Peninsula
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM2531 KINGSWAY, Dovercourt
609-1/7/162 Market Hall and railings on
20/06/72 south-east and south-west sides
(Formerly Listed as:
Kingsway Evangelical Church)
Shown on OS as Kingsway Evangelical Church.
Nonconformist church, now indoor market. Mid 1870s. By Gibbons
of Ipswich. Italianate church of Roman cement-coated brickwork
now with metal sheet roofs.
EXTERIOR: tower of 5 stages at SW end with low pitched pyramid
roof, dentilled cornice and iron finial/weathervane. The top
stage has clasping pilasters and segmental arch-headed louvred
openings between framing pilasters. Below this is a short
stage with circular openings with moulded frames, on each face
and further modillioned cornice. Near base is an architrave
wrapping round and looped over a window as a semicircular
arch. Base of tower stands slightly proud of flanking lobbies
with parapets and Grecian detail.
South-west door opening, into tower has low pedimented head
and similar pedimental doors, in flank of lobbies and similar
detail to single windows in SW face of lobbies.
Nave has low pitched roof, parapeted gables and 3 large
Venetian windows in each flank with heavily articulated
stilted semicircular enclosing arches. A short 'chancel'
projects on the NE end and has low pitched roof, parapeted
gable and tripartite group of narrow semicircular arch-headed
windows. At ground level this is enclosed in a single-storey
felt hipped roofed block with panelled exterior.
Due to ground slope there is moat-like area on SE and SW sides
with 22 Roman cement-coated piers and railings of cast-iron
panels and Anthemion castings. Flights of stairs to main and
INTERIOR: nave is of 3 bays of giant pilasters and boarded
roof coved on flanks. Chancel has pair Doric pilasters and
enclosing semicircular arch. Gallery with panelled front at SW
end on raking brackets and 2 cast-iron columns. Gallery
entrance in form of deep semicircular-arched recess with
entablature carried on flanking lateral consoles. Gallery
stairs in SE lobby with turned balusters.
Marble plaque (now replica) under tower erected by Robert John
Bagshaw MP (promoter of Dovercourt New Town) to commemorate
mother and sister drowned in Hooghly River, Calcutta October
20th 1820. Similar plaque in SW lobby to his wife Georgiana
d.1867. Basement has cast-iron columns.
Listing NGR: TM2564431564
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings