This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8837 / 52°53'1"N
Longitude: -0.6881 / 0°41'17"W
OS Eastings: 488375
OS Northings: 332615
OS Grid: SK883326
Mapcode National: GBR DQG.6VC
Mapcode Global: WHGKN.DSK3
Entry Name: May Tree House with Adjoining Steps and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 24 September 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187958
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382946
Location: Harlaxton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Harlaxton
Built-Up Area: Harlaxton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Harlaxton St Mary and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK8832 CHURCH STREET
1315-0/14/140 (North West side)
May Tree House, with adjoining steps
and boundary wall
Estate cottage, now a house, and adjoining steps and boundary
wall. c1800, remodelled c1820-1840, with mid C20 additions and
alterations. Brick with ashlar dressings and hipped slate
roofs. Square, coped brick ridge stack with ashlar pilasters.
First floor band, and strapwork pilasters to right of first
floor. 2 storeys; 2 window range. Windows have stone surrounds
and mullions, and leaded glazing. To right, a 3-light window.
To left, a projecting C20 first floor addition with a 5-light
window. Below, to left, an ashlar porch with square piers and
3 Tudor arched openings, with a balustrade to the right bay.
The openings have a Tudor style turned wooden balustrade.
Under the porch, a 5-light window with drop-down shutters, and
to its right, a plank door with ornamental hinges, and square
ashlar steps. To right, a 3-light window with Ipswich glazing
bars, then a 2-light cross casement corner window. Outside, to
left, a coursed rubble boundary wall with rubble coping,
approx 10m long.
This building is probably one of those built or altered
c1790-1820 by George de Ligne Gregory and remodelled in a
picturesque style by Gregory Gregory, successive Lords of the
Manor of Harlaxton.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 361-362; Rowlands G:
Harlaxton Manor: Harlaxton: 1984-: 20-29).
Listing NGR: SK8837532615
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings