This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8836 / 52°53'1"N
Longitude: -0.689 / 0°41'20"W
OS Eastings: 488314
OS Northings: 332603
OS Grid: SK883326
Mapcode National: GBR DQG.6MT
Mapcode Global: WHGKN.DS46
Entry Name: Old School House
Listing Date: 24 September 1979
Last Amended: 14 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187959
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382948
Location: Harlaxton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Harlaxton
Built-Up Area: Harlaxton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Harlaxton St Mary and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK8832 CHURCH STREET
1315-0/14/142 (West side (off))
Old School House
(Formerly Listed as:
Chimo Cottage, Old School and the
Old School House)
School and school house, now a house. Mid C19, probably
incorporating fragments of an earlier building, with late C20
alterations. Ground floor red brick and coursed squared stone,
with sham timber framing and rendered nogging above. Pantile
and slate roofs with a brick ridge stack with carved brick
coped flue, and various other stacks with coped terracotta
flues. Tudor Revival style. 2 storeys; 5 bays. L-plan. Windows
are mainly C20 glazing bar casements. To left, an open timber
framed gallery with splat balustrade, and below it, a 2-light
casement and a wood cased lead water pump. To left, a square
external stack with stone base and ashlar flue. To right, a
square external brick stack, flanked by 2 casements, the
largest to the left. Below, flanking the stack, small single
windows witch diamond pane glazing, then C20 2-light casements.
Beyond, to left, a plank door with ornamental hinges, and to
right, another diamond paned window. Left gable has a C20 to
casement and is topped with a gabled square wooden bellcote.
At the rear, a square external brick stack with double,flues.
Rear wing has a smaller side wall stack.
This building is one of those remodelled c1820-1840 by Gregory
Gregory, Lord of the Manor of Harlaxton, following the
precepts of JC Loudon.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 361-362; Rowlands G:
Harlaxton Manor: Harlaxton: 1984-: 20-29).
Listing NGR: SK8831432602
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings