History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chime Cottage and Adjoining Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Harlaxton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8836 / 52°53'0"N

Longitude: -0.6893 / 0°41'21"W

OS Eastings: 488298

OS Northings: 332596

OS Grid: SK882325

Mapcode National: GBR DQG.6KN

Mapcode Global: WHGKN.DS07

Entry Name: Chime Cottage and Adjoining Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 24 September 1979

Last Amended: 14 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187960

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382950

Location: Harlaxton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Harlaxton

Built-Up Area: Harlaxton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Harlaxton St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Harlaxton

Listing Text

HARLAXTON
SK8832 CHURCH STREET
1315-0/14/144 (West side (off))
24/09/79 No.20
Chime Cottage and adjoining boundary
wall
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET
Chimo Cottage, Old School and the
Old School House)
GV II

Estate cottage, now house. Mid C18, raised and altered c1800,
remodelled c1830, refenestrated mid C20. Coursed squared stone
and brick, with pantile roof. 2 elaborate gable stacks, the
left one partly external and carried on a round arch and stone
corbels. Both have patterned brick bases and linked coped
multiple flues in brick and terracotta, in a Tudor Revival
style. 2 storeys; 3 window range. Windows are late C20 glazing
bar casements with concrete lintels. Central 2-light window
flanked by 3-light windows. Central C20 door under pantiled
canopy with turned wooden balusters on brick cheeks, flanked
by 3-light windows. At the left corner, an octagonal timber
framed turret on a bracket, with rendered nogging and conical
lead roof. Left gable has an ashlar buttress. Adjoining
boundary wall has a short brick section next to the house,
then a gateway and a coursed rubble section, both with
half-round stone coping. Approx 60m long.
This building is one of those built or altered c1790-1820 by
George de Ligne Gregory and remodelled in a picturesque style
c1820-1840 by Gregory Gregory, successive Lords of the Manor
of Harlaxton.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 361-362; Rowlands G:
Harlaxton Manor: Harlaxton: 1984-: 20-29).


Listing NGR: SK8829832596

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.