History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garat's Hay

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodhouse, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7311 / 52°43'52"N

Longitude: -1.2036 / 1°12'12"W

OS Eastings: 453878

OS Northings: 315131

OS Grid: SK538151

Mapcode National: GBR 8L6.NKG

Mapcode Global: WHDHX.HM33

Entry Name: Garat's Hay

Listing Date: 15 March 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188004

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189219

Location: Woodhouse, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

Civil Parish: Woodhouse

Built-Up Area: Woodhouse

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Woodhouse St Mary-in-the-Elms

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Quorndon

Listing Text

WOODHOUSE FOREST ROAD (East side)
SK 51 NW
1/163 Garat's Hay
GV II

Large house of early c19 and 1896. Granite and slate rubble stone rendered,
and buff brick, part rendered, with part parapetted, part Swithland slate,
part plain tile roof with various ridge stacks. Square house of 2 storeys,
the main entrance being to the left of the road front where also a
subsidiary pavement door. This and the entrance front are of 1896 whilst
main garden front, to left of entrance front, and rear garden front are
early C19. Entrance front has central doorway up stone steps with 2
leaved part glazed door and overlight and 1-light either side. Leaded
lights of c1900, part stained glass. Swithland slate canopy over. On
1st floor to left a canted oriel bay of sash windows. Main garden front
to left has battlemented parapet and central 2 storey canted section with
Gothic arched doorway to front (2 leaved part glazed doors) and 6/6 sash
with hood mould over. Further sashes to canted sides and 2 6/6 sashes
either side of this canted section except that 1st floor far left and right
windows are blank. Road front of 1896 has buff brick ground floor and
render above. 9 windows mostly 6/6 sashes. Door centre right up 3
stone steps within porch. This is flat-topped and supported on left by
column and right by stone coped wall of 1 storey extension to right.
1st floor to left has twin gable with jettying. Rear garden front to
right of road front has 6 similar sashes with canted 2 storey bays also
with sashes at each end. Inside the entrance hall a window and a part
glazed screen both with leaded lights of c1900, part stained glass.
Group value with Church of St. Mary in the Elms.


Listing NGR: SK5387815131

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.