History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Remigius

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clawson, Hose and Harby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8374 / 52°50'14"N

Longitude: -0.9294 / 0°55'45"W

OS Eastings: 472218

OS Northings: 327188

OS Grid: SK722271

Mapcode National: GBR BN1.5TT

Mapcode Global: WHFJL.PYN5

Entry Name: Church of St Remigius

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188025

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190112

Location: Clawson, Hose and Harby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Clawson, Hose and Harby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Long Clawson St Remigius

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Long Clawson

Listing Text

CLAWSON, HOSE & CHURCH LANE
HARBY Long Clawson
SK 7227 Church of St Remigius
34/37
1.1.68

GV II*

Church. C14 and C15 with earlier origins. Chancel and transepts largely
rebuilt and church extensively restored 1893. Coursed squared ironstone
with limestone dressings, lead roofs to nave, aisles and porches, slate
roofs to chancel and transepts. Chancel, vestry, central tower, transepts,
aisled nave, N & S porches. 2-bay chancel has 3-light E window and 2-light
windows to S all with hood moulds and C19 Decorated-style tracery. C19
vestry to N has similar 2-light windows to N and double-chamfered door to E
with hood mould and label stops. Tower has battlemented parapet and 2-light
bell-chamber openings each with different Decorated tracery: that to E with
round trefoil-headed lights and trefoil to head, cinquefoil-headed lights to
N with mouchettes to head, those to W and S with trefoil-headed lights with
patterns of mouchettes to heads, and all with hood moulds. Transepts have
3-light windows to N & S with C19 tracery of cinquefoil-headed lights and
quatrefoil to head, both with hood moulds. Small, blocked round-headed
Norman window to E side of S transept, cut from one stone. Nave has 3-
window clerestory of 2-light windows, those to N C19 with cusped heads to
lights and straight heads, those to S lack tracery and have Tudor-arched
heads; all with hood moulds. N aisle has 3-light window to left of porch
with Ogee-arched heads to lights, straight head and hood mould with label
stops. N doorway has sunk quadrant moulding, hood mould and late C18/early
C19 panelled door. Large N porch has doorway with deep hollow chamfer
between thin chamfers and hood mould, off-set flanking buttresses, blocked
1-light window to W with straight head and chamfered surround. Battlemented
parapet to gable only with cinquefoil-headed niche to apex. S aisle has 3-
light window to right of porch with Cinquefoil-headed lights, 4-centred head
and hood mould. S doorway has chamfer and depressed ogee-arched head and 6-
panel C18 door. Porch has double wave-moulded doorway with hood mould and
label stops, probably former corbel heads. Small blocked 1-light window to
E with chamfered surround and straight head. Battlemented parapet to gable
only, with sundial to apex. W end has 3-light window to nave with
Perpendicular tracery and hood mould. Aisles have 2-light windows with
cinquefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil to head and hood moulds with label
stops. Interior: Crossing arches have semi-circular responds and chamfered
piers, moulded capitals and triple-chamfered arches. Nave has 3-bay arcades
with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, moulded capitals and double-
chamfered maws. NW pier has circular abacus, doubtless re-used.
Octagonal font with blank tracery to stem, shields in quatrefoils to bowl
and leaf carvings to angles of underside of bowl. Royal Arms of 1799 signed
J Tyler; oil on canvas. Present C19 High Altar conceals inch smaller, lower
altar of limestone dated 1737 with Latin inscription in panel begining DEO
TRIUNO and recording its gift by Rev William Turvile. Monuments: stone
effigy of arums-legged knight, late C13, very worn, said to be William
Bozon. Large slate wall monument with shaper top to Mrs Mary Turvile d.
1737. Similar wall monument to Rev. William Turvile d. 1740, put up by his
second wife Ellen and recording his rebuilding of the rectory. Wall
monument of veined marbles with obelisk top to Robert Garton d. 1792.
Restoration in 1893 was Preceded by a proposal to demolish and rebuild the
church to the designs of John Howitt, architect of Nottingham. Buildings of
England, Leics., 1984, p.278.


Listing NGR: SK7221827188

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.