This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5445 / 52°32'40"N
Longitude: -0.9956 / 0°59'44"W
OS Eastings: 468209
OS Northings: 294550
OS Grid: SP682945
Mapcode National: GBR 9Q4.F3N
Mapcode Global: VHDQK.P9JP
Entry Name: Old House and Garden Walls
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188029
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191108
Location: Kibworth Harcourt, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8
Civil Parish: Kibworth Harcourt
Built-Up Area: Kibworth Harcourt
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Kibworth Beauchamp
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 69 SE MAIN STREET (North Side)
6/86 No. 33 (Old House) and
House. Dated 1678. Red brick with coursed rubble stone plinth, rusticated
stone quoins, stone dressings and band, and moulded stone cornice. Swithland
slate hipped roof with brick ridge stacks (upper part rebuilt). Rectangular
plan. 2 1/2 storeys and basement of 5 2-light stone mullion and transom windows
with leaded lights. Moulded eared architraves with frieze between top and
house cornice on first floor and pulvinated frieze below individual cornices
on ground floor. Central first floor window is further surrounded by
pilasters and open scrolled pediment on carved consoles. Cartouche fills
opening. Central, possibly later, rectangular open stone porch up 3 stone
steps. 2 Tuscan columns support entablature with plain frieze and blocking
course. Moulded stone doorway with 6 panelled door and overlight. 2 2-light
hipped dormers. On left end on both floors 2 windows as on front. A small
oval bull's eye window on both floors in between. 2 boarded basement
windows. Extensions of 1862 to rear. Projecting from either corner of house
front a semicircle of iron railings on stone plinth. Central pair of gates.
Spear head finials with urn finials at intervals. Inside is a very fine
interior. Staircase with twisted balusters and much late C17 panelling.
Garden walls c2 m. high extend from rear along Albert Street and from right
corner along Main Street. Below first floor pediment is inscribed the date
1678, and the arms in cartouche above appear to be those of Parker. Possibly
house built by William Parker, died 1699, whose monument is in Kibworth
Beauchamp Church (q.v.). '(Old House) is remarkable for its period, both
because the use of brick is early for this district, and as an example of the
fully developed Renaissance house. Although fairly common in the Home
Counties this type is rare in Leicestershire before the beginning of the 18th
Century.' V.C.H., Vol. V, p178. Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SP6820994550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings