History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

274 and 276, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Guildford, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2374 / 51°14'14"N

Longitude: -0.5669 / 0°34'0"W

OS Eastings: 500144

OS Northings: 149670

OS Grid: TQ001496

Mapcode National: GBR FCK.7J8

Mapcode Global: VHFVN.4556

Entry Name: 274 and 276, High Street

Listing Date: 1 May 1953

Last Amended: 15 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188046

English Heritage Legacy ID: 288990

Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Town: Guildford

Electoral Ward/Division: Holy Trinity

Built-Up Area: Guildford

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Guildford Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Guildford

Listing Text



TQ 0049NW GUILDFORD HIGH STREET
(South Side)

6/124 Nos 274 and 276
1/5/53 (Formerly listed as
No.276 )

GV II

House, now estate agents and offices. Mid C18 with early C19 alterations and
extensions to sides and rear of c.1881. Red brick,clad in colourwashed stucco
with plain tiled roof to front obscured by tall parapet, C19 extensions under
hipped slate roofs. Two storeys and attic under cornice and parapet with end
newels) channelled angle piers and rusticated ground floor on smooth-rendered
plinth,corbelled stacks to left & right. Three bay front with steep central
pediment. Three 6-pane attic sash windows in raised architrave surrounds; key-
stones to outer windows,scrolled keystone to centre, with scrolled corbels to
sills below. Three 12-pane glazing-bar sash windows to first floor in lugged
architrave surrounds with pulvinated friezes over to pediment hoods, outer ones
segmental, central one triangular and with modillions and scrolls flanking frieze,
foliage garlands suspended from scrolls. Square plate glass ground floor windows
with half-oval traceried fans over. Central door of four panels with traceried
and glazed top panel under fanlight, and keystoned voussoir surround. Right hand
return front:- two windows deep with projecting surrounds, the windows at differing
levels indicating the extensions and subsequent alterations. Later C19 wing set
back to right with cross-ridge stack and hip-roofed dormer; moulded eaves to base
of parapet and plate glass sash fenestration. Ground floor shop extensions not of
special interest. C20 extensions to rear not of special interest.
Interior:- Large staircase of early C18 style and some door and window surrounds of
similar date.


Listing NGR: TQ0013849660

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.