This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2412 / 51°14'28"N
Longitude: -0.532 / 0°31'55"W
OS Eastings: 502571
OS Northings: 150137
OS Grid: TQ025501
Mapcode National: GBR GDX.4BJ
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.Q2MB
Entry Name: Levylsdene House
Listing Date: 1 May 1953
Last Amended: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188066
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288994
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
Electoral Ward/Division: Merrow
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Merrow
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 05SW GUILDFORD LEVYLSDENE
2/128 Levylsdene House
1/5/53 (Formerly listed
under Epsom Road)
House, remains of larger mansion. Mid-late C16 with C17 and C18 alterations, C20
extensions to left. Timber framed core, now clad to right in knapped flint rubble
with brick quoins and dressings, brick clad to left. Plain tiled roofs, hipped to
left. Remaining house of L-shaped plan. Two storeys and attic with plat band over
ground floor and brick cornice over first floor. Offset stack to left, further
front end stack to right. Bonnet hip roof over. Half-dormer casement window to
left. Brick and wood corbelled eaves cornice to right. Two angled-head early C18
glazing-bar sashes to first floor left with upper glazing-bars radiating. Two
similar headed windows to ground floor but with diamond-pane leaded glazing. All
windows under gauged-brick heads. Blocked window to centre of first floor with
decorative cross-shaped panel in knapped flint. Central double doors to ground
floor, glazed under cambered-head and flat hood on brackets. One mullioned cross
window to first floor right under gauged-brick and keystoned head. Pent-roofed
ground floor with diamond-pane window and glazed door. C20 brick extension
projecting to left end not of special interest. Right hand return front:- gable-
lit attic with two second floor diamond-pane windows and one first floor window
breaking into plat band. Rear:- rebuilt in C20 brick and tile hanging.
Interior:- Ground floor sitting room has panelling of varying dates with some C20
sections. Overmantle contains portrait head panels of C16 style. First floor room
has C17 panelling, possibly taken from Old Clandon House. soak staircase also
possibly came from Clandon House with open strapwork decorated panels, spherical
finials and pendants to newels. In the C18 the house was occupied by
Arthur Onslow, Speaker of the House of Commons and in 1757-9 the house was leased
by Admiral Boscawen whilst his house was constructed nearby at Hatchlands.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.359.
Listing NGR: TQ0257150137
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings