This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2339 / 51°14'1"N
Longitude: -0.5748 / 0°34'29"W
OS Eastings: 499596
OS Northings: 149263
OS Grid: SU995492
Mapcode National: GBR FCJ.KHB
Mapcode Global: VHFVM.Z7GY
Entry Name: Town Mill
Listing Date: 1 May 1953
Last Amended: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188091
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289007
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holy Trinity
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Guildford Holy Trinity and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 99 49SE GUILDFORD MILLBROOK
8/142 (Formerly listed
1/5/53 as Water Mill)
Watermill, now scenery workshops and theatre. Eastern range (nearest road) c.1771,
western range, c.1852. Brown brick to east, red brick to west with plain tiled
half-hipped roof with tile hung gable end to west, some in diamond pattern. Three
main floors with two attic floors in gable ends. Brick plat bands over ground,
first and second floors, brick dentils to eaves. Five bays to east range facing
south with two-light, cambered-head casement windows in gauged-brick surrounds.
Five windows on the second floor, four windows on the first and four on the ground
floors, two windows to right now blocked. Central double doors under cambered
heads with further panelled doors above to centre of the first floor. Two bay
extension to left (west) with 3-light,larger casement fenestration under cambered
heads. Two windows on each of the first and second floors; one window to ground
floor left and with double doors to right. West end - Central boarded section on
main gable with two casement windows. Three windows on the first and second floors.
Double,gabled single-storey range to ground floor with further extensions to right
end over mill race. North (rear) - regular fenestration with basement storey
battering out into water. This building is a reconstruction of an earlier mill
which stood on the same site, during the course of the rebuilding the mill wheels
were converted from undershot to breastshot. The western range was originally
repaired and was known as the Hogsmeal Mill before its eventual reconstruction in
c.1852. The date plaque, 1896, refers to the installation of new water pumps by
the Guildford Corporation when the mill was converted into a waterworks.
"GUILDFORD AS IT WAS": MATTHEW ALEXANDER (1978)
BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.288.
Listing NGR: SU9959649263
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings