History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Stanton upon Hine Heath, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8099 / 52°48'35"N

Longitude: -2.6422 / 2°38'31"W

OS Eastings: 356809

OS Northings: 323790

OS Grid: SJ568237

Mapcode National: GBR 7N.W0Q3

Mapcode Global: WH9CF.DM1P

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 28 October 1960

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188128

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260142

Location: Stanton upon Hine Heath, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Stanton upon Hine Heath

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Stanton-upon-Hine Heath St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Shawbury

Listing Text

SJ 5623-5723 STANTON UPON HINE STANTON UPON HINE
HEATH C.P. HEATH

18/146 Church of Saint
28.10.60 Andrew

GV I

Parish church. C12. Remains of probably late C13 or C14 south aisle,
C13 tower with late C14 belfry, porch dated 1593, and east end of chancel
rebuilt in 1740 at the expense of Andrew Corbet. Church restored in
1891-2 at a cost of £1,350, partly by public subscription and partly
at the expense of Francis Stanier of Peplow. Red sandstone; coursed
rubble (some C12 herringbone work), dressed and ashlar with red and
grey sandstone ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs. Nave with north
porch, chancel and west tower. Tower: 3 stages. Very large stepped
diagonal west buttresses, that to north with datestone recording inter
alia churchwardens: "Thomas Groome and William Dodkin (date and further
inscription illegible at time of survey - January 1986). Offset to
belfry with carved gargoyles at corners, coved parapet string with carved
gargoyles at corners and battlemented parapet with moulded coping and
crocketed pinnacles; weathervane. Louvred belfry openings of 2 cinquefoil-
headed lights with Y-tracery, double-chamfered reveals and hoodmould.
Inserted second square windows to north and south. Chamfered lancet
in first stage to south, small lancet to west and late C19 square-headed
window to north of 2 trefoil-headed lights with hollow-chamfered reveals.
Nave: parapeted gable to east with coping, gabled moulded kneelers,
and cross at apex. South side: wall rebuilt to right in late C19 after
demolition of 2-bay aisle; moulded plinth and chamfered top and 2 buttresses.
Three late C19 fourteenth century style windows of 2 trefoil-headed
lights with quatrefoil tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmoulds with
chamfered block stops. C12 doorway off-centre to left with roll-moulded
round arch, hoodmould, and C19 boarded door with strap hinges. North
side: small C12 round-arched window to left, central C15 square-headed
window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with chamfered reveals and late C19
window to right of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery,
chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with block stops. C12 round-arched
doorway between first and second windows from right with inner roll
moulding, one order of shafts with moulded bases and carved leaf capitals,
chamfered impost blocks, roll-moulded outer arch, and remains of hoodmould;
pair of C19 boarded doors with strap hinges. Stone porch with chamfered
plinth and parapeted gable with chamfered kneelers, coping and apex
finial. Moulded-arched doorway; pair of C19 boarded doors with strap
hinges. Returns have 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows with
leaded lights. Interior of porch: roof trusses with double-chamfered
steeply-cambered tie-beams; side benches. Chancel; south side: chamfered
plinth. C14 window to right of 2 trefoiled ogee-headed lights, altered
with square head, and late C19 two-light window to left with panelled
tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould. Evidence of blocked door
or window (see section of moulded jamb) to left of central buttress.
North side: 2 buttresses. Two small C12 round-arched windows, that
to left with chamfered reveals. East end: chamfered plinth, diagonal
buttresses with chamfered offsets, and parapeted gable with moulded
gabled kneelers, coping, and cross at apex. Three-light window with
intersecting tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with block stops.
Interior: probably C17 five-bay nave roof consisting of chamfered arch-
braced collar trusses with struts above and springing from brackets
with billet ornament. Pairs of purlins (lower set with billet ornament)
with one tier of wind braces. Two-bay chancel roof consisting of chamfered
arch-braced collar trusses with V-struts and springing from scrolled
brackets. North and south doors with large round rear arches and reset
C12 masonry in walls above with carved chevron ornament. Low blocked
chamfered tower arch with inserted C19 boarded door. Blocked former
2-bay south arcade with chamfered outer reveals, central octagonal pier
with chamfered base and capital, and double-chamfered arches. Evidence
of former central north door to nave (see reveals and reused carved
stone beneath central window). C19 double-chamfered arch with inner
chamfer springing from small attached ¾ shafts, and hoodmould with carved
stops. East window with chamfered rear arch and moulded string carried
over as hoodmould. Small chamfered rectangular aumbry to north. Fittings
include: sanctuary with raised and fielded and plain wainscot panelling
raised to form reredos with carved panels. C17 communion table with
carved bulbous legs and frieze. Mid-C18 communion rails with turned
balusters, square piers with attached half-balusters, and moulded handrail.
Late C19 pews and lectern. C18 polygonal wooden pulpit, 2 panels high
with vertical fluting, guilloche ornament, panelled base and late C19
stairs with turned balusters. Late C19 octagonal stone font with chamfered
base, and probably C17 or C18 cover with knob finial. Early C19 three-
bay west gallery with reeded posts; late C19 boarded door with chamfered
reveals from gallery to second stage of tower. Painted Royal coat of
arms dated 1808. Hatchment. Benefactors' board above north door and
2 benefactors' boards in gallery. Evidence of former painted arcading
flanking east windows. Plaque on north wall of chancel inscribed: "Andrew
Corbet/of Moreton Corbet Esq /Patron of this Church rebuilt this Chancel
End/in the year of our Lord/1740" and "This chancel/was again restored/by
the patron/Francis Stanier esquire/of Peplow 1892". Plaque on south
wall of nave inscribed: "The nave and tower/of this church were/restored
and the cost/defrayed by public/subscription 1892". The church stands
on a raised circular platform. B.O.E., p.292; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural
Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 8, p.725.


Listing NGR: SJ5680923788

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.