History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Shackerstone, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6538 / 52°39'13"N

Longitude: -1.4151 / 1°24'54"W

OS Eastings: 439662

OS Northings: 306386

OS Grid: SK396063

Mapcode National: GBR 6J7.P18

Mapcode Global: WHDJ6.7KDD

Entry Name: Baptist Chapel

Listing Date: 10 August 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188187

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188221

Location: Shackerstone, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, CV13

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

Civil Parish: Shackerstone

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Nailstone All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Ibstock

Listing Text

SK 30 NE SHACKERSTONE MAIN STREET (north
side)
2/89 Barton in the Beans

Baptist Chapel

GV II

Baptist Chapel. Dated 1841. Red and yellow brick chequer with slate
roof behind a pedimented gable. Aligned north-south facing south.
2-storeys with sill bands and dentilled eaves broken by a slightly
projecting centre bay with its own open pediment containing a plaque
with pilastered sides and cornice-hood, inscribed "GENERAL / BAPTIST
CHAPEL / REBUILT / 1841". Regular 3-window front; 4-pane fixed lights
to first floor left and right with wedge-shaped lintels grooved as
voussoirs, and raised key blocks. 16-pane glazing bar sash to first
floor centre with raised surround, bracketed sill and bracketed
pediment-hood with antefixae and Greek Revival frieze. Circular light
in gable with heavily moulded surround, and large Venetian window to
ground floor centre with bracketed sill, pilasters and raised key
block. This is flanked by a pair of doors within round-arched
recesses; each has a fanlight with an arch grooved as voussoirs, and a
raised key block. 4-bay side elevations of 16-pane glazing bar sashes
and 4-pane fixed lights, the ground floor windows are in round-arched
recesses. Sill strings and dentilled eaves are continued from the
front. Interior: the 2 front doorways each give access to a staircase
which ascends to the gallery. This is panelled and is supported on
cast iron columns. The chapel retains its oak pews. Panelled pulpit
at the north end with bowed centre and heavy moulded cornice with
dentils; steps to each side with turned balusters, open string and
carved tread ends.


Listing NGR: SK3966206386

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.