History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Edingale, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.72 / 52°43'12"N

Longitude: -1.7089 / 1°42'32"W

OS Eastings: 419759

OS Northings: 313634

OS Grid: SK197136

Mapcode National: GBR 4DF.DSK

Mapcode Global: WHCGJ.QWFN

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 27 February 1964

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188243

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272778

Location: Edingale, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Edingale

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Croxall cum Oakley St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Alrewas

Listing Text

SK 11 SE EDINGALE C.P. CROXALL

1/26 Church of St. John
27.2.64 the Baptist

GV II*


Parish church. Oldest remains are of circa 1200; the church was largely
rebuilt in the later C13 and remodelled early C14; minor alterations
of the C15, C18 and C19. Coursed rubble of circa 1200, otherwise dressed
stone blocks, some C18 brickwork. West tower; 3 bay nave, formerly
with a south aisle, 2-bay chancel, north-east vestry. West tower: 2
main stages, of different dates, off-set plinth, moulded parapet string
and crenellated parapet, north and south projections to lower stage.
Pointed west window with cusped Y-tracery, arch renewed, probably in
the C19, loop above with triangular head. The bell-chamber has paired
lancet lights with quatrefoil over. Nave: south side: bays marked by
off-set buttresses, diagonal buttresses to the corners. Early C14 doors
and windows set within the blocked pointed arches of a former south
arcade. The door is pointed and has an elaborate moulded-surround,
C19 circular window above. The pointed windows have Y-tracery with
trefoil cusping to the heads of the lights and a quatrefoil centre piece.
Parapet string to plain parapet, the lower part of the parapet is of
a similar date to the blocking of the arcade. Above the easternmost
window is a C18 square face sundial complete with gnomon. North side:
moulded off-set plinth, buttress between central and western bays; 3-light
pointed windows with restored Perpendicular tracery, ogee moulded surrounds
and return hood moulds. Lancet at the west end. Chancel: west bay
circa 1200, east bay C13, eaves level raised in the C18. North and
south sides of east bay have a pointed 2-light window with plate traceried
quatrefoil, pointed east window of 3 ogee-headed lights and Decorated
tracery, entirely C19 but probably reproducing the original pattern.
On the south side, the west bay has a blocked lancet and a door with
semi-circular head cut from a single stone, both to the right, and a
blocked door and square window to the left. Vestry: C19, pointed east
door, south lancet, probably re-used. Interior: walls are roughcast.
Pointed and chamfered tower arch; wide pointed and chamfered chancel
arch springing from imposts. Nave and chancel roofs are probably C18;
massive tie beams on short cantilevered beams which, in turn, are supported
by stone corbels, two pairs of purlins, ridge piece and short stubby
king-post. Fittings: simple C19 font, cylindrical base, circular basin
with moulded lip and polished limestone lining. C19 pulpit, stone,
semi-octagonal, Gothic style with triangular headed and traceried panels.
C19 altar rail of wrought iron with foliage decoration. Commandment
boards, probably early C19. Good C19 floor tiles in front of the altar.
Monuments: numerous incised slabs almost paving the chancel and dating
from circa 1480 into the C17 e.g. George Curzon, died 1605. Mary Curzon,
died 1612, marble aedicule, Corinthian columns on brackets, obelisk
finials above columns, coat of arms on top; Henrie Curzon, died 1639,
marble aedicule, panelled pilasters, open base pediment containing coat
of arms; Christopher Horton, died 1714, bracketed plate with moulded
cornice, obelisk above emblazoned with coat of arms; Waltar Horton,
died 1716, marble aedicule with foliated brackets, Corinthian pilasters,
coat of arms on top. Nave: Christopher Horton, died 1659, aedicule
with Corinthian columns on brackets, coat of arms over; Christopher
Horton, died 1701, aedicule, Corinthian pilasters, urns above flanking
a coat of arms; Eusebius Horton, died 1823 and Phoebe Horton died 1814,
by Sir Francis Chantrey, 2 standing women; Harriet Louise Wilmot Horton,
died 1831, white marble wall monument. Robert Wilmot Horton, died 1841,
by Denman, Grecian. Group of tablets by Reeves of Bath:- Margaret Prinsep,
died 1843; Caroline Mary Prinsep, died 1842; Frances Levett, died 1835.
Rev. Samuel Holworthy, died 1838, tablet; Batteridge family, tablet circa
1856. B.O.E. pp.110-11.


Listing NGR: SK1975913634

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.