History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Wistan

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wistow, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5579 / 52°33'28"N

Longitude: -1.0519 / 1°3'6"W

OS Eastings: 464370

OS Northings: 295980

OS Grid: SP643959

Mapcode National: GBR 9PV.QVJ

Mapcode Global: WHFKW.TY8Y

Entry Name: Church of St Wistan

Listing Date: 29 December 1966

Last Amended: 23 January 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188263

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191139

Location: Wistow, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Wistow

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Wistow St Wistan

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Great Glen

Listing Text

WISTOW
Church of St. Wistan (formerly
SP 69 NW
2/116
29.12.66 listed as Church of St.
Winstan)
GV II *
Church. C12 - C15, remodelled 1746, renovation 1815, and mid C19. Coursed
rubble stone with stone dressings and Swithland slate and aluminium roofs,
with low parapet. W Tower, nave and chancel under 1 roof, N vestry and vault,
N transept and S porch. C15 tower of 3 stages with plinth, buttresses and
diagonal buttresses with set-offs. SW stairs, 2-light window with C19 stained
glass, 4 2-light bell openings and battlements. Double chamfered nave arch,
the inner on stone corbels. N vestry and vault with leaded Gothick window and
blocked windows and doorway. c1300 N transept, now Halford chapel. Blocked N
window with Y tracery. 2 E windows of 1746 with semicircular arches and
leaded lights. Mainly C15 chancel. Small blocked N windows and blocked N
doorway. Large E window of 1746. Semicircular arch and leaded lights. 3
similar S windows to nave and chancel. Blocked S doorway with chevron moulded
rounded arch. Small mid C19 S porch with Gothic archway. Fine mid C18
interior with box pews and hexagonal pulpit. Wrought-iron communion rails of
c1730 and Halford chapel gates of later C18 (similar in design to staircase
balustrade at Wistow Hall, q.v.). Carved wooden reredos with urn-topped
pilasters and pediment is painted with Commandments, Lord's Prayer and Creed.
C18 stone vase font. Fine series of wall monuments including those to Sir
Richard Halford (d.1658, with alabaster effigy), Sir William Halford (d.1695),
Sir William Halford (d.1768), Sir Charles Halford (d.1780) and 3 by Richard
Westmacott, Jnr., to Sir Henry Halford (d.1844), his wife Elizabeth (d.1833)
and Sir John Vaughan (d.1839). Rainwater heads inscribed 'HH 1815'. Pevsner
and V.C.H., Vol.V


Listing NGR: SP6437095980

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.