This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.37 / 51°22'12"N
Longitude: -0.3669 / 0°22'0"W
OS Eastings: 513779
OS Northings: 164705
OS Grid: TQ137647
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.G5Y
Mapcode Global: VHFTZ.LTFM
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 16 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188268
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286634
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT10
Electoral Ward/Division: Esher
Built-Up Area: Esher
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Esher
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 16SW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE CHURCH STREET
Church. 1853-54 by Benjamin Ferrey. Coursed Buff rubblestone with stone dressings.
plain tiled roofs and stone broach spire. Large church ,west tower , nave and aisles
with porches, transepts and chancel to east. West tower with angle buttresses ,
stone dressed 2-light windows, a clock face in the broach stage of the spire to each
face. Wooden C19 pentice roof extension across the ground floor of the west front.
2-light trefoil head windows throughout the church, lancet windows to clerestory.
Arched south door with strapwork hinges, finely carved bosses to hood moulding.
Interior : Whitewashed, 4-bay nave arcades on round piers with moulded capitals.
Tower arch in 4-step surround with crowned head corbels, screen across the bottom.
Painted wooden gallery above. Thin columned chancel arch with angel figures on
outer arch moulding. 4-bay chancel with large, moulded, arch to south chancel chapel,
organ to the north.
Fittings: stained glass in east window by Sir Ninian Comper, 1909. Stone bowl and stem
font with supporting columns, crocketed wooden cover. C19 pulpit with sounding board,
fretwork band to the top.
Monuments: North wall: Prince Leopold Duke of Albany. 1884 by F. J. Williamson. Aedicular
type with marbled arched niche in piers to either side with flanking Flemish-style
pilasters. Low relief floral decoration to ends, panelled across the top with a strap-
work globe and finial crest. White stone bust to centre.
South Aisle Wall : To Richard Drake. Died 1603. "Kneeler" type. Marble and gilt Corinthian
columns to either side of central niche. Strapwork gilt crest to top. Male kneeling
figure in armour facing to left, inscribed plinth below. Strapwork decorated apron
Choir vestry : Marble effigy of Leopold King of the Belgians. 1867 by Susan D. Durant.
Transferred from St. George's chapel, Windsor.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p221.
Listing NGR: TQ1377964705
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings