History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Guthlac

A Grade II* Listed Building in Croxton Kerrial, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8571 / 52°51'25"N

Longitude: -0.7989 / 0°47'56"W

OS Eastings: 480969

OS Northings: 329517

OS Grid: SK809295

Mapcode National: GBR CP5.W9L

Mapcode Global: WHFJN.PGR1

Entry Name: Church of St Guthlac

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188319

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190154

Location: Croxton Kerrial, Melton, Leicestershire, NG32

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Croxton Kerrial

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Branston-by-Belvoir (High Framland Parishes)

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Knipton

Listing Text

SK 8029 CROXTON KERRIAL MAIN STREET
(West side)
Branston
39/343 Church of St Guthlac
1.1.68
II*

Parish church. C13 west tower with late C14 steeple. C13 nave and aisles,
aisles with later fenestration. C13 chancel altered C15. South porch
added 1872 and south aisle restored. 1895-6 new nave and chancel roofs and
further restorations by Bodley and Garner. Ironstone with limestone
dressings and lead roofs. Unbuttressed 3 stage tower, externally of 2
stages. Arched lancet to west. Lancets to ringing chamber and paired
lancets to belfry under containing semi-circular super-arch. Late C14
limestone crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles below octagonal
crocketed spire. 2-light south aisle west window with quatrefoil vesica:
c. 1300. C19 gabled south porch. One lancet and one 3-light C19 window to
east of porch. C19 chapel at east end of south aisle with 2-light windows.
2 3-light ogeed north aisle windows under square heads and, between them,
an arched doorway. Perpendicular clerestory: 3 3-light panel tracery
south windows under segmental arches; 3 2-light north windows under square
heads. Perpendicular chancel windows, that to east of 5 lights. To north
side a single C13 lancet. Priests' door to west end. Interior. 3-bay
arcade on octagonal north piers and circular south piers. North piers with
polygonal capitals with some nailhead ornament. South piers on
waterholding bases and with undercut capitals. C19 nave roof of tie beams
on arched braces, ridge piece and purlins. Triple chamfered tower arch and
double chamfered chancel arch. C12 font: octagonal with engaged columns to
stem and intersecting arches to bowl, with nailhead. In chancel an
alabaster floor slab to John Spethyn, 1460.


Listing NGR: SK8096929517

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.