This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3716 / 51°22'17"N
Longitude: -0.461 / 0°27'39"W
OS Eastings: 507221
OS Northings: 164736
OS Grid: TQ072647
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.8G4
Mapcode Global: VHFTX.YSNF
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188363
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286648
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT13
District Council Ward: Weybridge Riverside
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Weybridge
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 06 SE BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE CHURCH STREET
4/85 Church of St. James
Church. 1848 with additional aisle to south of 1864 by J.L. Pearson. Coursed rubble
stone with stone dressings, plain tiled roof with stone gable copings and crosses.
Stone broach spire with iron weathervane. Decorated style, 2 stage,to west nave with
aisles, 2 to south, north porch and chancel to east. Gargoyles to first stage of
tower, clock faces to east and west sides. Decorated tracery to windows.
Interior: Tiled floor with 5 bay nave arcades on round piers. Quatrefoil patterned
clerestory windows above. Principal roof rafters on carved angel supports.
Fittings: Polychrome marbles to chancel, over 20 types used, rich gold and red mosaics
to chancel walls. Double Piscina to south chancel wall with red marble base, similar
red marble seats to sedelia. Very rich high altar with marble reredos under crocketed
finials depicting scenes from the life of Christ. Marble dado screen across chancel
arch. carved wooden pulpit, octagonal stone Decorated font.
South aisle chapel: wooden reredos on black and white stone floor to east altar.
Monuments: West tower wall (south). Brass to John Woulde. Died 1598. Standing
figure with wives to either side in profile, crests above.
Mary Gwyn. Died 1840. Grey ground, white stone rectangle with volute scrolls to
sides, supporting a cornice band with crucifix, corn stalk and chalice to top.
Frederica, Duchess of York by F. Chantrey in 1823. Grey ground obelisk, stone stele
with segmental pediment above, circlet of stars to obelisk shaft, kneeling female
figure in profile below, crown at her feet. Inscription and all brackets below with
Hannah Hancock. Died 1805. Grey stone ground with pediment and acroteria. Semi-
circular niche with flower carving over open, inscribed, book.
Tower wall (north): Lydia Maplesloft. Died 1765. Black and grey marble obelisk on
plinth with inset white stone inscription in copper plate. White stone urn and
cartouche above, all on brackets.
Thomas Hapson. Died 1717. Grey stone ground on gadrooned apron with cherub's head
entablature and broken segmental pediment above. Central cartouche. White stone
inscription breaking forward to centre.
George mangles 1810. Grey ground , white stone inscribed plinth , chest tomb above.
Fluted to ends, triangle with sun's above.
C15 brasses- 3 skeletons 2 feet high with texts between, head missing on left hand
Brass to Humphrey Athick. Died 1642. Rectangle with coat of arms.
Brass to Thomas Inwood. 1586. Five kneeling figures , wives to left, children accompanying
Listing NGR: TQ0722164736
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings