This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2177 / 51°13'3"N
Longitude: -0.6316 / 0°37'53"W
OS Eastings: 495668
OS Northings: 147394
OS Grid: SU956473
Mapcode National: GBR FCN.P4F
Mapcode Global: VHFVM.0NGB
Entry Name: The Watts Memorial Cloister
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188385
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288319
Location: Compton, Guildford, Surrey, GU3
Civil Parish: Compton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Compton
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 94 NE COMPTON C.P. DOWN LANE
3/62 The Watts Memorial Cloister
Cloister. Designed and built in 1911 by Mary Seton Watts. Red brick
with stone plinth, hipped Roman pantiled roof. Rectangular, single
storey with left hand range canted forward at an angle. Twenty bays with
a series of interlacing round headed arches on square, four sectioned piers
with flat Abaci and square piers, or four columns with blocked in capitals.
Wider entrance bay to left of centre, six bays from left end. Lead screen
gates with cross and scroll, Celtic style, decoration, approximately 2½ feet
high. Opposite the gates on the rear wall of the cloister is a wall
monument of terracotta to G F Watts. Three bays, centre one projecting
between half columns with Art Nouveau capitals. Braced base. Flanking
bays contain classical figures, recumbent effigy of Watts to centre.
Further tablet to Mary Watts. The graves are outside and immediately
opposite the cloister entrance.
Listing NGR: SU9567247392
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings