History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Twycross House School

A Grade II Listed Building in Twycross, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6409 / 52°38'27"N

Longitude: -1.5041 / 1°30'14"W

OS Eastings: 433651

OS Northings: 304907

OS Grid: SK336049

Mapcode National: GBR 6J9.JJM

Mapcode Global: WHCH0.VWX9

Entry Name: Twycross House School

Listing Date: 7 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188386

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188251

Location: Twycross, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, CV9

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

Civil Parish: Twycross

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Sheepy with Ratcliffe Culey Sibson, Orton-on-the-Hill and Twycross

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Appleby Magna

Listing Text

SK 30 SW TWYCROSS MAIN ROAD (south-
west side)
4/114
Twycross House School
7.11.66 (No 1)

GV II

House, now school. Dated 1703. Extended in the C19. Red and blue
brick chequer with plain tiled roofs and central brick ridge stack.
Lobby-entry plan with service wing to right. 2 storeys on stone
plinth, with plat band and wooden modillion eaves cornice. Regular
5-window front with single-bay pedimented central projection, made
slightly irregular by a deep gabled 2-bay projection to the right with
end gable stack. Early C18 wooden cross-windows with lead lattice
glazing, now painted, all in segment-headed surrounds. 2 small garret
windows in end of right hand wing. Date plaque inscribed W H S
1703
in pediment over entrance. Wide segmental pedimented entrance with
shallow fanlight and 6-panelled door, the panels being raised and
fielded. Interior: Remains of an early C18 splat baluster two-flight
return stair; square newels, corniced upstanding rail and closed
string. Hall with chamfered and stopped spine-beam, fireplace with
heavy reused bressumer. Panelled piers to arches and corniced
window-sills. Later C18 wooden fire surround in the drawing room with
heavy volute side supports. Sitting room with marble bolection moulded
fire surround set in dado panelling continued as mantel-shelf with egg
and dart decoration over fire surround. Study with 3 arched cupboards
with doubled panelled doors. Various bolection-moulded door surrounds
with raised and fielded panelled doors throughout the building.


Listing NGR: SK3365104907

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.