This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0378 / 53°2'16"N
Longitude: -2.3722 / 2°22'19"W
OS Eastings: 375138
OS Northings: 349011
OS Grid: SJ751490
Mapcode National: GBR 02C.F33
Mapcode Global: WH9BD.JXL1
Entry Name: Model Farm Complex South West of Betley Old Hall
Listing Date: 22 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188395
English Heritage Legacy ID: 273325
Location: Betley, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, CW3
Civil Parish: Betley
Built-Up Area: Betley
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Betley St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
BETLEY C.P. MAIN STREET (west side)
SJ 74 NE
8/41, 10/41 Model farm complex
- south-west of Betley
Model farm including cowsheds, cartsheds, granary, stables and mill.
Early C19. Built for George Tollet IV (1767-1855). Red brick with
plain tile roofs. The farm complex is built on a hillside sloping from
north to south, and is on 3 levels. The north and south ranges contain
2 tier cowsheds. They enclose 2 sides of a farm yard which is accessible
from the upper storey of the south range and the lower storey of the
north range. The upper storey of the north range and the lower storey
of the south range were entered from the upper and lower farmyards respect-
ively. A range of cartsheds with granary over encloses the westside
of the middle yard and a range for feed preparation incorporating a water
mill encloses the east side. There are more cowsheds to the east side
of the lower yard. The Middle Yard. 2 storey north range with dentilled
eaves band. 10 bays of 3-centred arches to the ground floor each with
semi-circular arched openings above. 2 doors to ground floor left giving
access to stables. Low south range with 11 bays of 3-centred arches.
The west side of the west range has 5 cartshed bays with 3-centred arches.
Tallet steps in the south gable give access to the first floor granary.
The east range has 3 pitching eyes to the loft and 2 segmental headed
doors. The Lower Yard. The south-side of the south range has 6 round
headed doors at ground level and is blind above. East range with 7
bays of segmental arches. Interior. All buildings have bolted king-
post roofs. Ground storeys of all the cowsheds are groin vaulted
in brick. Behind the lower tier of cowsheds in the south range s a
feeding passage entered from the east range. Within the mill building
is a cast iron undershot water wheel which powered the machinery involved
in feed preparation. The axle shaft and other gears also survive.
Listing NGR: SJ7513849011
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings