This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3926 / 51°23'33"N
Longitude: -0.3327 / 0°19'57"W
OS Eastings: 516097
OS Northings: 167265
OS Grid: TQ160672
Mapcode National: GBR 6H.4SB
Mapcode Global: VHGRG.58Y9
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 16 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286659
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT7
District Council Ward: Thames Ditton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Thames Ditton
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE
Church of St. Nicholas
Church. C13, north chancel chapel C14, restored in C19, north wall of 1826 by W. McIntosh Brooks and extensions to south. Aisle and chapel of 1864 by B. Ferrey.
Flint with stone dressings, tower with brick and tile patching to stonework, weatherboard above. Brick north wall to aisle. Plain tiled roofs, slate roof over porch.
Square west tower, nave and aisles with chapel and porch to the south, chancel to the east with chancel chapel and vestry to north. Two stage tower with lead spire; double light arched windows to first stage and clock on west face. Gabled porch to south with four gables across the east end of the church. Most windows C19 restorations.
Interior: stone floor. Three bay nave arcades on Perpendicular style octagonal piers with depressed rounded arches to north side. C19 arcade to south. Crown post roof to nave. Two bay chancel with C16 brick, four-centred arch under C13 lancet window. Round pier arcade to south aisle with square foliage capitals and cushion pedestals to piers. Gallery across west end of north aisle. Round rear arches to lower windows.
Fittings: C19 pews and pulpit. Stone Norman font c.1120 to west end: block capital with scalloped top and cable moulding to four lunettes containing medallions, subjects
in the medallions include Lamb, Cross and an Ibex.
Monuments : North chancel wall: The Forde Tomb. Mid C16 Perpendicular, rectangular stone structure with six posts, centre dividing wall to two arched chambers with quatrefoil band and billet moulding to top.
North Chancel chapel, north wall: Brakendon Booth brass.1580. Central standing woman with husbands flanking, six children to left. Shields over the principal figures. Monument to Col. Sidney Godolphin (Governor of Scilly) 1732. Aedicular type. Marble with central projecting pededstal on volute scrolls, set back flanking scrolls to sides over apron containing a coat of arms. Portrait bust to top of Godolphin in Roman costume. Swan neck to bust pedestal, broken segmental pediment above.
North Chancel Chapel, west wall: Forde brass.1533, possibly designed to fit into the Forde monument. Man and wife kneeling at an altar flanking central coat of arms and
elaborate crest. Guileme Leigh : brass plate dated 1608.
Chancel arch wall, north side: Polsted brass 1540: husband and wife kneeling, facing each other across a book littered table, children to right, Stone double arched surround with projecting cornice top and centre pendant.
South Aisle: west window, Robert Shepherd. 1674 stone cartouche, black oval ground.
South Aisle: south wall: Richard Sullivan.1806. Black stone ground with white stone apron , cornice and drapery shield to base.
Listing NGR: TQ1609767265
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings