This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1719 / 51°10'18"N
Longitude: -0.7843 / 0°47'3"W
OS Eastings: 485089
OS Northings: 142110
OS Grid: SU850421
Mapcode National: GBR DBQ.DJV
Mapcode Global: VHDY8.CS7Z
Entry Name: Pierrepont School
Listing Date: 3 May 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291547
Location: Frensham, Waverley, Surrey, GU10
Civil Parish: Frensham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Frensham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 84SE FRENSHAM C.P. FRENSHAM ROAD
4/37 Pierrepont School
Country House, now private school. 1876-8 around an older house, by Richard Norman
Shaw for Richard Henry Combe, extended to left (east) in later C19. Sandstone
rubble below with brick dressings and angle quoins, oak timber frame above under
plain tiled roofs. Complicated rambling plan with service courtyard to east. Two
storeys and attics with tall corbelled and ribbed brick stacks, some diagonal to
ends and centre. Square lantern on Hall roof. Main entrance front to north:-
Slightly V-shaped. 5 gables across on coved jetty with moulded bressumer. One
casement window to each gable, those in two left hand gables on the bressumer, three
windows to right higher up. Irregular wood-framed,leaded,casement fenestration to
first floor, of 7 windows; 5 stone dressed windows to ground floor. Mullioned and
transomed leaded window in pentice bay to ground floor right, patterned glazing
lighting the hall range, set back to right end. Large,stone dressed,mullioned and
transomed leaded casement to ground floor centre. Porch recess under cambered wooden
lintel, to right of centre. Tiled offset to plinth wall of windows flanking the 4-
centre,arched headed,double doors. Single storey extensions to left.
Right hand return front (East): Patterned frame in gable end of Hall, three stone
buttresses below. Further gable projecting to right hand side.
South front (rear): Large canted oriel window,lighting hall,with decorative glazing,
and patterned frame in gable above on hall range set back to left. Angle bay
projecting under gable, to left of centre, square oriel on cove to first floor of
bay, leaded window above. Angle bay projecting to right end.
Interior: Most rooms and staircase open off one spine corridor.
Great Hall:- Two storeys with tall,collar-braced,roof and central louvre. Three
framed bays with windbracing in roof. Large stone fireplace and extensive panelling.
Armorial stained glass in oriel window. Hall screen intact.
Staircase:- panelled staircase hall, arched roof. Turned balusters to rails. Some
rooms still retain panelling and tooled leather decoration as well as panelled
Library:- fine panelled and gilt ceiling.
Reference Library:- simple panelled roof and fine Dutch Gothic darkwood fireplace.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p. 413.
A. SAINTS RICHARD NORMAN SHAW (1977) PP. 82, 88, 93, 102, 103, 107, 110, 111, 113,
116, 121, 164, 189, 193, 415, 447, 456. ills - 54 and 74.
Listing NGR: SU8508942110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings