History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Erith, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4797 / 51°28'47"N

Longitude: 0.1766 / 0°10'35"E

OS Eastings: 551246

OS Northings: 177889

OS Grid: TQ512778

Mapcode National: GBR SR.F75

Mapcode Global: VHHNT.02RG

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 17 December 1980

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188549

English Heritage Legacy ID: 198721

Location: Bexley, London, DA8

County: London

District: Bexley

Electoral Ward/Division: Erith

Built-Up Area: Bexley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Erith Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Belvedere

Listing Text

TQ 57 NW VICTORIA ROAD

959/3/4 Christ Church

17.12.1980 II*

Parish church. 1874 by J P St Aubyn. Yellow stock brick with polychrome red brick decoration and stone dressings; red tiled roof. Mainly lancet windows, paired to nave. Aisled 5-bay nave, with entrances in narthex; almost detached north-west tower of 1914 with stone broached spire; chancel with buttressed polygonal apse; south chapel with polygonal apse; north vestry. INTERIOR: Nave arcade has round piers, with stiff-leaf capitals. Nave has three tier hammerbeam roof with curved braces supported on stone corbels. Chancel has five fine lancet windows by Hardman of 1875 depicting scenes from the Gospels, reredos of painted triptych of the Adoration of the Magi in a C15 Italian style by A O Hemming of 1904, stencilled decoration, triple sedilia and polychrome tiles. Nave has original carved wooden lectern, pews, stone and - granite font, wall tablet on west wall to Thomas Ruck, organist between 1881-1918 with mosaicwork cherubs and eight painted panels depicting scenes from the early history of the Church in England from the martyrdom of St Alban to the martyrdom of St Edmund by Ward and Hughes of 1906-9.
[Pevsner BOE London South p277.
Roger Homan "Victorian Churches of Kent". 1984. P54.]

Listing NGR: TQ5124677889

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.